Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

You probably want to Rollover your T-IRA to a Roth, rather than sell and close the account. There will be a tax consequence for rolling it from a Traditional to a ROTH, however current tax law allows you to spread that income (the IRS considers a T-IRA rollover income) evenly over 2 years in 2011 and 2012. This will change in 2011 when they full amount will be taxed in one year rather than 2. Any discount brokerage can help you rollover, probably best to give them a call.

In regards to the management of your IRA account, you may invest as much or as little as you please. You may trade in and out at will and are not required to hold a stock until a certain age, however you will not be able to withdraw money from that account until 59.5 (except for special circumstances which is a different conversation all together).

I hope this is helpful. If it needs more explanation please let me know.

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.