Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: leindert Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19414  
Subject: shifting savings into retirement Date: 1/10/2000 10:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've been watching, but have yet to see this addressed. I'm self-employed, not making a lot of money at the moment, but have a bunch of savings & moderate amount of IRA's & SEP-no 401 etc. Three college tuitions on horizon. I can't see how I can possibly get enough $ into IRA's via 2k or 4k per year, & using my SEP usually doesn't get me much more. I'm 52 by the way. Is there a way (preferably legal) to shift $ from savings & mutual funds to IRA's, SEP's, or other types of retirement accounts or vehicles? I also don't want the colleges to grab my life's savings & I'm getting killed by health insurance premiums but that's another story.
looking forward to some advice,
leindert
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1448 of 19414
Subject: Re: shifting savings into retirement Date: 1/11/2000 9:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Leindert, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I've been watching, but have yet to see this addressed. I'm self-employed, not making a lot of money at the moment, but have a bunch of savings & moderate amount of IRA's & SEP-no 401 etc. Three college tuitions on horizon. I can't see how I can possibly get enough $ into IRA's via 2k or 4k per year, & using my SEP usually doesn't get me much more. I'm 52 by the way. Is there a way (preferably legal) to shift $ from savings & mutual funds to IRA's, SEP's, or other types of retirement accounts or vehicles? I also don't want the colleges to grab my life's savings & I'm getting killed by health insurance premiums but that's another story. looking forward to some advice. >>

I won't offer any advice, just a comment. If you are using your IRAs and your SEP to the fullest extent, then there are no more vehicles available to you for the deferral of taxes except annuities. That's not a terrific product for most people as far as most Fools are concerned (see the annuity articles at http://www.fool.com/retirement/annuities/annuities01.htm for details), but in your case for your objectives you might want to look at them. Beyond that, your avenue will be taxable investment accounts.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement