UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308722  
Subject: Re: Nov 06 Update & Advice Needed Date: 11/7/2006 3:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
shirehobbit,

You wrote, This is what I currently have left:

Bank of America
APR 7.90%
Debt $11,529.62
Credit Limit $19,200.00

CitiCard
APR 2.99% BT for life of the loan
Debt $2,288.75
Credit Limit $6,200.00

This hobbit is torn. The emotional mind wants to pay off Citi first, because then I'll only have one card with a balance. But the rational mind observes that I'll be paying more interest over the long run if I do this.

To add to the turmoil I got a 0% BT offer (for 12 months) from HSBC Bank Nevada (anyone heard of them?) in the mail today. The letter says balance transfer fees will be waived at the time of application. Yes, I do understand that it may mean that I'm approved to receive the offer in the mail, but it doesn't mean that I qualify for the BT offered in the letter. Though you have to love the way the letter starts out! "Your improved credit standing has not gone unnoticed..." *smile*
Should I not add another account? Instead should I call one of the accounts I already have and ask them if they can match this offer?

Your advice is very much welcomed!

HSBC (Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation) is a huge international banking conglomerate that acquired Household Bank (and maybe a few others) in recent years in an effort to make in-roads in the U.S. banking market. Think of them as in competition with ING. [In fact, they offer a similar, highly competative online savings account product, currently paying 5.05%APY with a $1 minimum balance requirement.] Here's the Wikipedia page on HSBC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSBC

I'd have no problem with taking HSBC's offer. In fact, I'd toss everything they'd loan you at BofA first, then Citicard if they'll give you enough. Max out at 0%BT offer if you can.

Then I'd open an HSBC savings account. Stick anything extra, plus your montly snowball into the HSBC savings account and make only the minimum payment on the HSBC credit card. In 11 months pay off the balance from what you've accumulated in the savings account.

Finally, keep throwing that snowball into savings until you have a real e-fund! If any of your credit cards offer you 0%BTs, take that money and stick it into savings until you have to repay it too. You'll be amazed at how good it feels to be earning $100/month in interest instead of paying $100's to a credit card!

Of course in the end, you need to also throw plenty of that snowball toward retirement savings and other financial goals...

- Joel
Who actually made around $160 in interest last month! :-)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement