UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Starrob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 291  
Subject: Shisha Date: 11/2/2010 2:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
When I was in Phuket a few days ago, my girlfriend decided that she wanted to eat in a Arabic restaurant. There happens to be a lot of Arabic restaurants in Phuket.

It appeared to me that most of these restaurants were either Egyptian or Lebanese. Most people think of Thailand as a Buddhist nation but Thailand happens to have a large community of muslims especially in the southern part of Thailand.

Any way, we go into this Arabic restaurant....We order some food and drinks. As I started to look around, I noticed all of these Arabic people smoking what looked like a huge Bong to me.

I thought these Arabs must have gotten ahold of some Thai Stick http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_stick or something.....but then I remembered that drugs are big time illegal in Thailand.

I couldn't figure out what was going on until my Indo Gf told me that they were smoking Shisha. Shisha??? WTH is that?

My GF explained to me that Shisha is a type of tobacco product that usually is flavored....something like grape or cherry...that many Arabic people like to smoke.

Since Indonesia is a big muslim country, lots of Arabs tend to travel there and she has seen people smoking this Shisha before. My Indo GF told me she did not like it because it just made her throat sore and it did not give her the same nicotine kick that she got from smoking cigarettes. She really did not see the purpose of smoking Shisha.

Man, you learn something new everyday....I still don't see the purpose in ShiSha, though....It just looks to me like I could have put that Hookah into good use, though, in the very long ago days when I did not inhale :)

Here it is Shisha and the Hookah:

"A hookah (Hindustani: ???????? (Devanagari), ???? (Nastaleeq) huqqah)[1][2] also known as a waterpipe[3] is a single or multi-stemmed (often glass-based) instrument for smoking in which the smoke is cooled and filtered by passing through water. The tobacco smoked is referred to as shisha or sheesha.[4] Originally from India,[1][5][6][7][8][9] hookah has gained popularity, especially in the Middle East and is gaining popularity in North America, Europe, Australia and Brazil.[2]"

cont'd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement