UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFSandman Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189608  
Subject: Shockwave Flash and CPU Usage Date: 10/7/2012 7:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Anyone experience heavy CPU usage with Shockwave Flash? I'm using an Intel i3 2.27 GHZ Dell laptop with 4 GB of RAM running Windows 7.

The CPU usage is low-to-moderate (i.e. varying betweeen 20-50%) until a page is referenced that uses Shockwave Flash (ex. streaming video). Then CPU usage goes up to 90-100%. Video playback is slow and stuttery and the whole system is affected (due to the CPU going principally to Flash).

I've tried Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer and they all had the same problem. All three web browsers work just fine until Shockwave Flash starts running.

Thanks,

Mike
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182082 of 189608
Subject: Re: Shockwave Flash and CPU Usage Date: 10/7/2012 8:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Mike the best solution is un-install Adobe Flash and leave it off. Flash in a continuous series of security issues in addition to the type of issue you face. An inferior choice solution would be to download and re-install flash again.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: TMFSandman Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182083 of 189608
Subject: Re: Shockwave Flash and CPU Usage Date: 10/7/2012 10:03 PM
Thanks Gordon!

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but had the same problem. I then uninstalled the new version. It's amazing how fast everything runs with Flash uninstalled. Web sites load instantly and CPU usage is minimal. My CPU fan is actually off for once.

Downside is that many sites that stream multimedia (Pandora, Amazon Prime, CBS.com) use Flash. Is there an alternative to the Flash player that works with these sites?

Mike

Author: TMFSandman Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182084 of 189608
Subject: Re: Shockwave Flash and CPU Usage Date: 10/7/2012 11:26 PM
I installed an older version of Flash (11.1.102.55). This is the first 11.x version. Now I'm not having a CPU usage problem.

Mike

Author: TMFSandman Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182085 of 189608
Subject: Re: Shockwave Flash and CPU Usage Date: 10/7/2012 11:51 PM
Scratch that last. Version 11.1.102.55 still hogged the entire CPU, it just took a little while longer to get there.

Mike

Author: Radish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182086 of 189608
Subject: Re: Shockwave Flash and CPU Usage Date: 10/8/2012 12:04 AM
TMFSandman,

Downside is that many sites that stream multimedia (Pandora, Amazon Prime, CBS.com) use Flash. Is there an alternative to the Flash player that works with these sites?

If you uninstall Flash, then use the Chrome brower with those sites, does that work? Chrome has some built-in version of Flash, rather than using the download... I think.

Phil

Author: TMFSandman Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182087 of 189608
Subject: Re: Shockwave Flash and CPU Usage Date: 10/8/2012 1:04 AM
Phil,

I gave it a shot but ran into similar problems with Chrome. My biggest problem has been with the CBS.com and ABC.com sites. When I try streaming content from those sites CPU usage after 5 or so minutes climbs to 70-100%.

I'm not having significant problems streaming content from Amazon Prime, Pandora, or YouTube using Flash. I'm streaming Iron Man 2 on Amazon right now and CPU is between 3 and 13%. I tried switching to Pandora and Pandora uses a similar amount of CPU.

I wonder if separate/additional loads are created at all the various commercial breaks where separate flash movies are run. Don't know for sure.

Mike

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182095 of 189608
Subject: Re: Shockwave Flash and CPU Usage Date: 10/9/2012 8:44 PM
Recommendations: 1
Many sites have multople Flash items on a single page. For example, there might be a big Flash box with the video you want to see, and various smaller boxes with Flash ads and other Flash content.

So multiple instances of Flash might all be running simultaneously.

I no longer have Flash installed on my Mac, but when I did, I used a browser extension called "click-to-Flash" that showed an empty box where the Flash content would have otherwise loaded. By clicking that box, I could load just the Flash content for that box, while not loading the other Flash content on the same webpage.

I've also found that many websites will look their content without flash, if I set my browser agent to "iPad."

Author: TMFSandman Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182096 of 189608
Subject: Re: Shockwave Flash and CPU Usage Date: 10/10/2012 1:54 AM
Thanks, Steven!

I'm trying out flashblock for firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashblock/

Mike

Author: TMFSandman Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182156 of 189608
Subject: Re: Shockwave Flash and CPU Usage Date: 10/17/2012 7:52 PM
Flashblock works like a charm. I have my main firefox browser open with Flashblock installed and CPU usage is minimal. Then I open a single tab in Google Chrome with flash enabled to run Pandora.

Thanks!

Mike

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement