Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFJedi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 44390  
Subject: Shopping for a life Date: 7/9/2000 12:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Durnib, yef,

There's this odd little thing I've heard of recently, it's called "a life". I think the three of us REALLY need to look into getting a life.

Kaiti
nothing better to do with a Sat. night than clean house and post... this is sad
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Durnib Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4981 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/9/2000 12:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Well, I'm in recovery mode. I had a life last night, lost it about 3:30 this morning, or rather yesterday morning...

So I took a break today.

-b

Author: yef Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4984 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/9/2000 12:30 AM
I'm in recovery mode too, but in a macro sense. I haven't had a life for the last few months, but before that I was out every night.

I'm actually at my work office right now playing bad 80's music too loud. I never get to do that during the day!

Author: Durnib Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4989 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/9/2000 12:46 AM
playing bad 80's music too loud. I never get to do that during the day!

Ummm, there's a reason why they don't let you, yef.

-b

Author: yef Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4993 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/9/2000 1:27 AM
playing bad 80's music too loud. I never get to do that during the day!

Ummm, there's a reason why they don't let you, yef.

Jeez, is your PMS acting up again?!

LOL, this "joke" never gets old for me.

Oh, come on. Don't tell me you can't get enough of German 80's one-hit-wonders like Nena and Falco!

Author: Durnib Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4995 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/9/2000 1:43 AM
Don't tell me you can't get enough of German 80's one-hit-wonders like Nena

Just as long as it is the German version. I just love it when she says "Captain Kirk." Take that NG'ers. (Yeah, I know NG wasn't around then. But she wouldn't say Picard.)

And for the record, I own all 15 CD's of Rhino's "New Wave Hits of the 80's."

Thank you very much.

-b

Author: coxam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4997 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/9/2000 1:49 AM
I'm actually at my work office right now playing bad 80's music too loud. I never get to do that during the
day!
===========

Milli Vanilli, perhaps? ;)

Anna

Author: JeanDavid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5007 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/9/2000 7:51 AM
nothing better to do with a Sat. night than clean house and post... this is sad

Not only sad, depressing. So depressing that it is now Sunday morning and I did not even clean the house...

Author: TheBMann Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5027 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/9/2000 12:20 PM
Nena and Falco rule! Then there's ABC, the Icicle Works, Toni Basil, Haircut One Hundred, Missing Persons, Wall of VooDoo, the Vapors, Bow Wow Wow... and we CAN'T forget about Sigue Sigue Sputnik!

B*Mann
a child of the 80s just trying to do his part to overtake that darned Christian board!

:-)

Author: masonjarjar Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5028 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/9/2000 12:25 PM
yes what a great time for music...my faves are the Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Depeche Mode, the Smiths, Yaz, New Order, Echo & The Bunnymen, Violent Femmes, Public Image Ltd, Joy Division, Replacements, Timbuk 3, Pursuit of Happiness.......I didn't really care for the "one hit wonders" - most of their other music was not very interesting

-Mason

Author: Moonbucks Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5043 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/9/2000 2:50 PM
Recommendations: 44
Not only sad, depressing. So depressing that it is now Sunday morning and I did not even clean the house...
You are close at my side in bed
where you've lain nearly every nightfor the last 14 years
when I open my eyes you are, as ever looking into mine

I get up and we pace apart into the bathroom
morning ablutions underway
I hug you and kiss the top of your head
the way I've done each of the mornings following night

and go to the kitchen to arrange your breakfast
but you barely touch it

you are old... now... and dying quickly
and do not eat your food
each day the flesh melts from your bones
as you walk through the habits of your day
and I mine

I scrub the floors, wash the mats, launder
afghans and guest towels
I vacuum the carpet and dust the piano and guitar.
meanwhile you slowly move outdoors to
find a place to snooze in the morning sun

I rinse the mirrors, water the garden
cut herbs to place in the dryers with the linens,
mend a blouse whose hem has come loose,
and stop to speak and stroke your head and face
as I conduct the rituals that have defined our life together
and think about the fact that you are leaving soon.

I pick out a new set of CD's to play on the stero
Annie Lennox's Medusa
It begins "No more I love yous"

I gather the bills and order them to be paid,
take out the trash, rinse the wastebaskets
and replace the liners.
The house is rife with pine and lemon scents
and the morning sunshine- and reminders of your presence.

I open the windows, iron the washing,
put away the suitcase I recently used to travel to Spain and wipe down the kitchen counters
I hand wash the delicate beaded gauze blouse that my eldest daughter covets and reminds me
"Don't put that in the washing Machine Mom,
I want it when you get tired of it."

You have been with me nearly as long as my children have- no one else has lived with me longer.
I go round with a scrub brush and a pail of soapy water
to scrub the spots where you've gotten sick on the carpet

Your hair looks unkempt and matted- so I've shaved it
nearly all off for you- you're cooler in the summertime anyway.

I look at your portrait on the bedroom wall
My mother did from a photograph of you
in healthier, more vital times.

Still you love me and are loving. We pass each other
you and i,
me doing the emotional shorthand of maintaining what I love- and you walking slowly and unsteadily- but always interested in my comings and goings.

Up and down the cement steps-
I prepare hardcooked eggs
and boiled potatos for lunch. The stereo plays Michael
Jackson "The Way You Make Me Feel"

but nothing I do- nothing that i can maintain
compensates for knowing that you are dying
your leave-taking is inevitable

And Woody, I am so going to miss you when you are gone

Moon, missing her good friend and kitty already

Author: coxam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5055 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/9/2000 3:29 PM

Moon,
What a great poem. You actually made me cry. I'm gonna go hug my kitties right now!

Anna

Author: masonjarjar Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5066 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/9/2000 4:05 PM
Beautiful! *sniff* makes me wish I had a kitty! :)
..they make me *ka-choo!* though :(

Author: Moonbucks Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5073 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/9/2000 5:04 PM
I'm gonna go hug my kitties right now!

Moon

Author: JeanDavid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5086 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/9/2000 8:08 PM

... and to think you are so modest as to not fill out an interview where your poesie might have been disclosed...

Author: Moonbucks Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5092 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/9/2000 10:11 PM
... and to think you are so modest as to not fill out an interview where your poesie might have been disclosed...
Never did do that, did I?

Nor did I send you the requested photo of me celebrating my birthday in the penguin dress.... I am remiss-

Ah well-- considering where I spent most of my day on my birthday- there was no much celebration and I would not have looked very happy.

Particularly, I remember, as I noticed my (married) boss had picked out and signed a birthday card to a young, unmarried female co-worker not reporting to him- who happened to have a birthday close to mine- but totally ignored me on my birthday. Three direct reports, and me one of them - apparently, he was a believer in the good will of birthday cards-- would it have killed him?

Some day, JeanDavid- in a happier-but wintery-- circumstance- I'll model that penguin dress in a foto- just for you. :) and clearly you already know where to find the poesie....

Moon-

P.S. BTW- from personal experience- as a former dancer, I was paid - often by a factor of 10 or better- more than the club bartenders. Have never known any employees available for a dime a dozen- and certainly not in hospitality or entertainment. Perhaps it depends entirely upon the places and the company you keep....

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5093 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/9/2000 10:29 PM
Hey Moon,
Condolences to you, also thanks for reminding me to go play with my two gato's. Sometimes I think they are being irritating by walking infront of the computer, and then I remember that they just need a little love.
Sable and Princess say hi to you.

Later
Nice Guy (who now is tryin to type with cat hair on the keyboard.)
Buffy

Author: Durnib Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5094 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/10/2000 12:31 AM

Moon,

Thanks for sharing that with us. I've never actually had a pet, so I can't say I know how you feel.

But my best friend growing up had a cat, Subby. He was as much a part of my growing up as my best friend. We spent every day together for years.

Subby used to sleep on the bottom bunk of my friends room. But when I slept over, I wasn't allowed on the top so I took the bottom, and Subby had to sleep with me. Sometimes, I would wake up in the middle of the night, and find him curled up on my chest. It would scare me at first, but I would usually get used to it.

There was something rather comforting, having him there, rising up and down as I breathed. Some nights, I would try to stay awake, and just watch him, listen to him purr.

They had to put Subby to sleep when I was about 12. I had moved away by then, but I was still sad. In some ways, he was my best friend too.

-b, remembering that Siamese cat for the first time in many years.

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5097 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/10/2000 2:41 AM
Moonbucks,
thank you for that post. I lost my kitty to carcer a few months ago, and it hurt like hell. I still miss the guy.

Author: dobski Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5099 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/10/2000 7:16 AM
<<And Woody, I am so going to miss you when you are gone>>

MB,
I don't know if you are a writer, but IMO you *should* be !

Author: JeanDavid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5100 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/10/2000 7:19 AM
BTW- from personal experience- as a former dancer, I was paid - often by a factor of 10 or better- more than the club bartenders. Have never known any employees available for a dime a dozen- and certainly not in hospitality or entertainment. Perhaps it depends entirely upon the places and the company you keep....

Where my friend used to dance, the dancers had to pay the establishment $45/night (IIRC) for the "privilege" of working there. If you did not make $45 in tips, you were losing money. Actually, you had to make enough for the baby-sitter as well if you had kids, just to break even. My friend did pretty well and learned a lot about herself the first few years at that. Even when she got to her late 20's she did well because she became much more skilled at repartee.

She was speaking as an owner, not a dancer, in what I posted earlier. She definately paid her bartender, DJ, and bouncer, more than her dancers. They did get tips, but I did not know how much. I would not have tipped them, were I a customer. I would not have been a customer. I like naked ladies as well as the next guy, I suppose, but the ones I saw seemed to have little talent. Perhaps it was too early in the evening.

Author: JeanDavid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5101 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/10/2000 7:30 AM
Nor did I send you the requested photo of me celebrating my birthday in the penguin dress.... I am remiss-

Some day, JeanDavid- in a happier-but wintery-- circumstance- I'll model that penguin dress in a foto- just for you. :) and clearly you already know where to find the poesie....

If you send the picture, I guess I will have to photograph Tux, my Linux penguin who sits on the monitor of my Linux machine, and send him (i.e., his picture; my toy koalas would never forgive me were I to send Tux himself) to you.

Ah well-- considering where I spent most of my day on my birthday- there was no much celebration and I would not have looked very happy.

My birthday was not too bad. I was certainly not unhappy. Mostly alone, but in the evening, The parents of my little sweetheart took me and her to dinner.

I am sorry yours sounds less fun. I got a card from my sweetheart's grandmother that read:

"HEY, BIG GUY! Want to know how to make a woman really HOT on your birthday?" [on the front]

"Just make her stand next to your birthday cake." [on the back]

I do not remember when they start teasing people about their age. I do remember on my 40th birthday, my sister sent me a sympathy card instead of a birthday card. It said something like "Please accept these, my deepest sympathies, in this, your time of greatest need."

She's like that. We are to travel from Venice to London on the Orient Express just before her birthday. The fully restored cars date from the time of the Agatha Christie story, and she is a detective story fan.

Author: JeanDavid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5102 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/10/2000 7:37 AM
remembering that Siamese cat for the first time in many years.

I never had a cat. My mother had a tabby, but that was an accident: she never wanted a pet.

I had a girl-friend that had cats (back when it was still correct to call them girl-friends). My favorite of hers was a siamese named Iris. My cat in the nethack game is named Iris (the dog is Phaedeau). If I were to have a cat, it would be Siamese.

I like Thai cooking, too. Fortunately, after living around here since 1976, a very good Thai restaurant, named Siam Garden, opened. I seem to go there once a week even though it is quite expensive for around here ($25 - $30 per person; BYOB).

Author: TMFJedi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5113 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/10/2000 11:41 AM
Oh, come on. Don't tell me you can't get enough of German 80's one-hit-wonders like Nena and Falco!

Pardon me, but Falco was a TWO hit wonder!

Can you name both?

Kaiti

Author: shannmc Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5116 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/10/2000 11:52 AM
<<<<<Pardon me, but Falco was a TWO hit wonder!

Can you name both?>>>>>>>

"Rock Me Amadeus" and "Vienna Calling," IIRC. And no, I'm not ashamed to have owned the album. Falco was a babe!

Shannon
Thinking with my hormones since 1902.

Author: Durnib Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5121 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/10/2000 12:05 PM
"Rock Me Amadeus" and "Vienna Calling," IIRC. And no, I'm not ashamed to have owned the album. Falco was a babe!

Very good Shannon. But don't tell me you've forgotten the classic "Jeanie?"

Jeanie!! Quit living on dreams...
Jeanie!! Life is not what it seems...

<Something> lonely little girl in this cold dark world...

Oh, Jeanie! Jeanie! Jeanie!!!!!

The video really sticks in my head. I think Falco was in a straight jacket, in a padded room, kneeling, screaming for this Jeanie chick.

I loved that song!

-b

Author: shannmc Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5124 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/10/2000 12:09 PM
<<<<<<Very good Shannon. But don't tell me you've forgotten the classic "Jeanie?......The video really sticks in my head. I think Falco was in a straight jacket, in a padded room, kneeling, screaming for this Jeanie chick.>>>>>>>

I've managed to repress it all these years. But it is a good memory. I'm now sitting at work with a big, dumb smile on my face.

So would that make him a 3-hit wonder? And are we counting hits from abroad? Apparently, Falco's HUGE in Germany-but then again, so is David Hasselhoff, and I'm not about to grant him any-hit-wonder status....

Shannon

Author: TMFJedi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5134 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/10/2000 12:49 PM
Nice Guy (who now is tryin to type with cat hair on the keyboard.)

Try typing with a kitty trying desperately to get at something that is under the keyboard! :-)

I love my furbabies.

Kaiti

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5232 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/11/2000 2:03 AM
I do not remember when they start teasing people about their age. I do remember on my 40th birthday, my sister sent me a sympathy card instead of a birthday card. It said something like "Please accept these, my deepest sympathies, in this, your time of greatest need."

After reading this, I had to post about my 30th. My brother has not given me a birthday card since I was 12. On my 30th b-day, I recieved a card from him. I was so shocked that I actually called my mom and said, "What's wrong with Michael?", totally terrified that my brother was dying and this was his way of making peace. Needless to say, my mom thought it was hilarious that I got so upset about my brother actually sending me a b-day card.

Author: JeanDavid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5244 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/11/2000 7:13 AM
I do remember on my 40th birthday, my sister sent me a sympathy card instead of a birthday card. It said something like "Please accept these, my deepest sympathies, in this, your time of greatest need."

After reading this, I had to post about my 30th. My brother has not given me a birthday card since I was 12. On my 30th b-day, I recieved a card from him. I was so shocked that I actually called my mom and said, "What's wrong with Michael?", totally terrified that my brother was dying and this was his way of making peace. Needless to say, my mom thought it was hilarious that I got so upset about my brother actually sending me a b-day card.

My other sister once, spontaneously, sent me a photograph she made of herself, wearing a skimpy slip. While this did not turn me on, I was amused enough to set up my camera, pose in exactly the same way with a towel, since I have no slips, coyly taking the towel away in such a way as to expose one of my nipples (recall that I am a man, not a woman).

I sent a copy to her and one of each to my mother. My sister apparently called my mother complaining she did not understand what I sent such a picture for. My mother completely understood, but did not know how to explain it to my sister.

Author: yef Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5472 of 44390
Subject: Re: Shopping for a life Date: 7/12/2000 4:17 AM
My other sister once, spontaneously, sent me a photograph she made of herself, wearing a skimpy slip. While this did not turn me on, I was amused enough to set up my camera, pose in exactly the same way with a towel, since I have no slips, coyly taking the towel away in such a way as to expose one of my nipples (recall that I am a man, not a woman)

I was wondering who that picture on HotSexyFrenchDudes.com was!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement