Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: snowytenn Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 86584  
Subject: Shopping on the Web Date: 12/18/1999 3:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2

I did a fair amount of buying for my kids on the net, they are in their 20's and 30's and their Christmas list s consisted of computer games, CD's and an MP3 player. Here's the recap

Amazon.com. Excellent. They had in stock what they said was in stock and shipped it on time. One item that they said would ship when released on December 10, was in fact shipped on December 10. I have one item to return and they have a very straightforward return policy. I don't expect any problems. I would certainly shop there again.

800.COM. Excellent. I found two hard to find CD's at their site that my daughter wanted, they had them in stock and shipped them out the next day. Even though they are in Portland, OR they were more than reasonable on shipping. I am in Orlando, FL and shipping for the two CD's (US Priority Mail) was $3.90. I would certainly buy there again.

Gameware (www.gamewareexpress.com) Good. I had a little problem with not being able to clear my shopping cart at their site with the result that I ended up ordering two copies of the same game. I was unable to cancel them before they shipped, but their customer service was prompt and immediately responded to my e-mail in a professional and courteous manner. I have shipped the duplicate game back and assume I will not have any problem getting credit. One game I ordered has still not been released (and their site so indicated when I ordered it), so we will see how quickly I get it after it is released. Pending getting credit for the returned item and getting the other game shortly after it is released, I would certainly go back there.

McGlen.com. Terrible. I found this site through “mySimon” which I use to comparison shop. These people need help! I ordered an MP3 Player that their site said was in stock. 12 hours after I placed the order I got an e-mail that said they were processing the order. I immediately e-mailed them back and said quit fooling around and ship the item. The next day they e-mailed back that they were considering canceling the order because the item was on back order!! I immediately e-mailed them the following:

“Please cancel my order immediately. Why in the world do you show this item as being in stock if it is on back order? The only reason I placed my order was because you showed it as being available. Please confirm that this order has been canceled. You need to do a lot of work on your procedures if you want to be successful with e-commerce.”

That was two days ago and I still have not heard back from them. I have e-mailed them twice in the meantime asking that they confirm that my order has been canceled. Fortunately, my wife was able to find the item at a local Circuit City store….. The real kicker is that it was even cheaper at Circuit City than on the web.

I continue to believe that internet shopping is the wave of the future, but there are a lot of organization out there that have a lot of improving to do before most people are going to feel totally comfortable shopping the web. The biggest compliant that I have experienced and hear from others is being out of stock on an item. Realistically with today's computer controlled inventory and order entry systems you should not be able to order an out of stock item; but let's face it not everybody has state of the art systems in place. Those that do will get lots of return business, those that don't probably won't last too many more Christmases.

Jim
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement