No. of Recommendations: 0
This year I purchased two lots of Kinder Morgan, Incorporated (KMI) shares. Seemed like a good idea at the time but the shares have decreased significantly. Were I to sell them, I would have a short-term capital loss. The last time that I sold shares at a loss, the lots sold at a loss offset gains from lots that I had purchased earlier.

This year I have no gains that could be offset by selling my KMI holdings. Can I short-term loss be used to reduce taxable income such as RMD withdrawals?

If it can and the loss exceeds $3,000, can the excess loss be carried forward to the next tax year?

If you had a long-term capital loss that you carried forward from a previous year and exceeds $3,000, is the short-term loss added to the existing long-term capital loss and carried forward to the following tax years?

I have the impression that some of you reading this board might be stock traders and have a better understanding of the tax consequences of a capital loss. I would appreciate any insight that you can provide.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.