Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: nyeb Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120826  
Subject: Short term loss Date: 7/26/1999 4:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I sold stock at a loss, short term. At tax time will I be able to write off, short and long term gains or just short term gains against these losses?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Bob78164 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17676 of 120826
Subject: Re: Short term loss Date: 7/26/1999 4:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
nyeb writes:

I sold stock at a loss, short term. At tax time will I be able to write off, short and long term gains or just short term gains against these losses?

I reply:

First you'll net your short-term losses against any short-term gains, and any long-term losses against your long-term gains. If this process results in a short-term loss and a long-term gain (or vice versa, for that matter), you'll net the loss against the gain. If you still have a loss when this process is complete, you may apply as much as $3,000 of that loss against ordinary income. If you have even more loss than that, you must carry the excess over to future years. --Bob

Author: TaxService Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17683 of 120826
Subject: Re: Short term loss Date: 7/26/1999 10:15 PM

Net your losses. Use your short term losses to offset your short term gains. Use your long term losses to offset your long term gains. If your total losses exceed 3000, you may deduct the first $3,000 of losses in the current year. Any balance is carried over to future years until it is consumed by gains, carryovers, or your demise.

"Jack"

Author: edcosoft Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17699 of 120826
Subject: Re: Short term loss Date: 7/27/1999 2:46 PM
I sold stock at a loss, short term. At tax time will I be able to write off,
short and long term gains or just short term gains against these losses?

Sorry, it's not just "able to", you HAVE TO. It is unfortunate that you must lose the advantage of Long Term Gains rates and waste the higher rate Short Term Loss on them instead of higher ordinary income. Ed

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement