Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi All:

I am lost in the figures. I have about $50,000 in short term losses net and $7,000 in long term losses, net.

My question is...when I net, net my long term and short term I have a loss. How can I use those losses to cover the tax liability incurred in conversion of $43,000 in Reg Ira funds over to a Roth Ira?

I am thinking that is the best move left to me rather than just carrying forward the remainuing losses into the future.

Appreciate the help.

If confession is good for the soul, let it be known that I tried some day trading after selling one of my businesses. I hit my limit of losses before I lost all the money(I am not completely stupid, just willing to try some riskier ventures) and have come to the conclusion that day trading is best left to the professional traders. They have a BIG edge.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.