Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lbarnesf Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121095  
Subject: short term net gain vs net loss Date: 12/10/2000 10:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm new at this. Can you really net out your short term losses from your short term gains? In other words, if my short term gains for the year are $40,000 and my short term losses are $60,000, does that mean I can show a loss of $20,000 using $3,000 this year and carrying the remainder over to future years?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: phooley Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42721 of 121095
Subject: Re: short term net gain vs net loss Date: 12/10/2000 11:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Can you really net out your short term losses from your short term gains? In other words, if my short term gains for the year are $40,000 and my short term losses are $60,000, does that mean I can show a loss of $20,000 using $3,000 this year and carrying the remainder over to future years?

Sounds like a trick question, with the answer, "Depends."

Do you have any net long term gains or losses?

Phooley

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42729 of 121095
Subject: Re: short term net gain vs net loss Date: 12/10/2000 4:15 PM
I'm new at this. Can you really net out your short term losses from your short term gains? In other words, if my short term gains for the year are $40,000 and my short term losses are $60,000, does that mean I can show a loss of $20,000 ...

Not only CAN you do this, you MUST. It's the way the law works. I can't think of a situation where this isn't the first thing you do with your short term gains and losses.

... using $3,000 this year and carrying the remainder over to future years?

Now we need more information. Your long-term gains and losses (and potentially some other items with special capital treatment) will affect what is used this year and what is carried over.

May I suggest a look at the article in the FAQ on netting gains and losses. The link is at the top of this page. I think you'll find it helpful in uderstanding the netting process.

--Peter

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement