UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: louisbecke One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35365  
Subject: Shorting Treasuries Date: 2/1/2009 11:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Dear Fools,

Does anyone know of a bond fund that can be shorted? I tried to short TLT and IEF at Etrade but they said they could not borrow the shares.

Thanks, Louis
Print the post Back To Top
Author: theHedgehog Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25828 of 35365
Subject: Re: Shorting Treasuries Date: 2/1/2009 1:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Does anyone know of a bond fund that can be shorted? I tried to short TLT and IEF at Etrade but they said they could not borrow the shares.

Sounds like every TLT and IEF share at Etrade that can be shorted, already is.

Hedge

Author: richinaz Big red star, 1000 posts 9 Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25831 of 35365
Subject: Re: Shorting Treasuries Date: 2/1/2009 6:13 PM
Recommendations: 3
Instead of shorting TLT you can buy TBT which is an ultra short of TLT, i.e. 2X. Same for shorting IEF, you can use PST (another ultra short, ie. 2X).

Rich

Author: Wradical Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25836 of 35365
Subject: Re: Shorting Treasuries Date: 2/2/2009 12:50 PM
Recommendations: 0
Another thing you might look at is Rydex Funds' Inverse Govt. Long Bond Strategy Fund (RYJUX)

http://www.rydexinvestments.com/products/mutual_funds/info/o...

Note that buying a short fund is not the same as shorting a regular fund, or regular securities. It's not a short sale, and you don't have the unlimited upside loss exposure, and accompanying margin calls, that you do with a short sale.

Bill

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement