Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122091  
Subject: shot by a neighbor .. Date: 10/1/2012 1:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
and partially paralyzed -- but clearly still loved.
(donno why they haven't got her one of those little
'carts' to wheel her back legs around in -- or maybe
they have one for outside jaunts)

http://i.imgur.com/bmuHF.gif

nl
Print the post Back To Top
Author: joikim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119761 of 122091
Subject: Re: shot by a neighbor .. Date: 10/1/2012 9:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
That breaks my heart. Do they make carts for cats? I just don't see them adapting very well to them. I honestly don't know if could watch my cat drag itself around like that every day. Obviously a sweet cat and loving owner.
JK

Author: slowlythere Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119762 of 122091
Subject: Re: shot by a neighbor .. Date: 10/1/2012 12:10 PM
Recommendations: 1
Thank you for sharing this. She is a sweet cat and well-loved.

A cat wheelchair being demonstrated. Accompanied by brief discussion about considerations for cats (versus dogs).
http://www.mobility-advisor.com/cat-wheelchair.html

I think it was adorable that the white and brown pup came to play. It took me a moment to realize that the pup was not naturally mobile either!

ST

Author: gooffool57 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119763 of 122091
Subject: Re: shot by a neighbor .. Date: 10/1/2012 12:34 PM
Recommendations: 5
The neighbor should be required to buy the wheelchair for the poor cat.

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119765 of 122091
Subject: Re: shot by a neighbor .. Date: 10/1/2012 1:52 PM
The neighbor should be required to buy the wheelchair for the poor cat.

The neighbor should be required to live in one until the cat naturally passes.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119766 of 122091
Subject: Re: shot by a neighbor .. Date: 10/1/2012 3:07 PM
what happened to the neighbor????? I hope charges were filed or something....he should be run out of town.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119768 of 122091
Subject: Re: shot by a neighbor .. Date: 10/1/2012 4:17 PM
Based on the profiling of how seriel killers usually start off with killing small animals, maybe some day we'll have a national registry of neighborhood pet abusers the way there's a sex offenders database.

Author: slowlythere Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119769 of 122091
Subject: Re: shot by a neighbor .. Date: 10/1/2012 4:35 PM
Based on the profiling of how seriel killers usually start off with killing small animals, maybe some day we'll have a national registry of neighborhood pet abusers the way there's a sex offenders database.

(What you are referring to I think is referred to the MacDonald Triad, a.k.a. serial killer behavior triad, specifically bed-wetting, arson and cruelty to animals. http://people.howstuffworks.com/serial-killer2.htm )

It is a great idea. My memory fails me, but I think there is/was at least one state that was considering starting a state-wide database of those convicted of abusing or neglecting animals. Once there are enough state databases, maybe we can get something going on a federal level. Or make abuse and neglect against animal federal. I believe the idea behind this was roughly based on having a similar like this for domestic violence (or maybe I have this backwards).

Quite honestly, there aren't enough effective laws being followed to convict or prosecute when there have been reported examples of abuse or neglect. Also I don't know how many of those are considered just misdemeanors versus felonies.

Sorry for going off topic. Abuse (against animals or people) is an issue that riles me up. I am not sharing the thoughts and feelings I have about that person who shot the cat in the initial thread, but I am glad the cat seems to be doing well and obviously loved.

ST

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119771 of 122091
Subject: Re: shot by a neighbor .. Date: 10/1/2012 5:47 PM
(What you are referring to I think is referred to the MacDonald Triad, a.k.a. serial killer behavior triad, specifically bed-wetting, arson and cruelty to animals.

Years and years ago on this board we were discussing someone who was abusing animals, and two of us mentioned that triad. And very shortly thereafter a very excited poster was asking for details; where we had found this information, had it been verified by testing, and so on. So I told the guy where I had found it referred to, and so did a couple of others. It was enough to send the guy in the right direction when looking for verifiable references.

It turned out that the poster worked in a DA's office out in Montana or Wyoming or some place similar, working mostly with juveniles. For some reason he had never come across any reference to the triad, and he was excited about having an aid in determining whether a young offender might really be heading for trouble. I was a bit surprised that he didn't know about it, but a lot of people don't know about it yet.

I'd forgotten that episode until a few days ago.

I'd like to know why the neighbor shot the cat. Was it deliberate cruelty, or was it dark and he thought he was shooting a large rat or weasel?

Nancy

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119772 of 122091
Subject: Re: shot by a neighbor .. Date: 10/1/2012 6:55 PM
I do a lot of reading around here and there online and could NOT find
exactly where I got that from. My recollection from the discussion was that the
poster, pushed by a discussion crowd MUCH angrier than this one, stated
that it was his girlfriend's cat, that the shooting happened over two years
ago following many threats, but even with law enforcement involvement there
was no follow up for 'lack of hard evidence' that the woman who threatened
repeatedly actually did it. Sorry, that's all I got.
I DO recall being astonished at the degree of ingenuity exhibited in the
'retribution plans' that many of the posters had devised for the shooter(!!!)
((E.g. "burn her house to the ground, when she bebuilds, burn down again"))
Many other discussion board systems do not have the overriding
"you're all being monitored" restrictions that this childish
system maintains.

n

Author: Grumpybiker Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119774 of 122091
Subject: Re: shot by a neighbor .. Date: 10/1/2012 7:18 PM
Here's the answer.
Teach your cat to shoot back:
http://grumpypix.multiply.com/photos/album/3/Online#photo=28...

Regards,
Grumpy

Author: slowlythere Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119776 of 122091
Subject: Re: shot by a neighbor .. Date: 10/1/2012 8:11 PM
Years and years ago on this board we were discussing someone who was abusing animals, and two of us mentioned that triad. And very shortly thereafter a very excited poster was asking for details; where we had found this information, had it been verified by testing, and so on. So I told the guy where I had found it referred to, and so did a couple of others. It was enough to send the guy in the right direction when looking for verifiable references.

It turned out that the poster worked in a DA's office out in Montana or Wyoming or some place similar, working mostly with juveniles. For some reason he had never come across any reference to the triad, and he was excited about having an aid in determining whether a young offender might really be heading for trouble. I was a bit surprised that he didn't know about it, but a lot of people don't know about it yet.

I'd forgotten that episode until a few days ago.

Funny. Or at least sort of interesting. Several years ago, I attended a series of workshops to provide training for working with victims of violent crimes (mostly for professionals new to the field, whether criminal justice or other). In between, sometimes there were discussions about why perpetrators did what they did. A lot of often highly educated professionals have no clue at all. The nice thing a lot of people participating in that workshop demonstrated deep appreciation for what they were learning about. And I met quite a number of people that I respected.

The internet, but these TMF boards, can be an impressive place to learn a wide range of things from unexpected sources. E.g., a professional in a D.A.'s office learning about theories of predatory behavior from a discussion board for people to talk about their beloved pets.

ST

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119785 of 122091
Subject: Re: shot by a neighbor .. Date: 10/2/2012 10:17 AM
Recommendations: 4
Quite honestly, there aren't enough effective laws being followed to convict or prosecute when there have been reported examples of abuse or neglect.

IMO it's not just about punishment for abuse of an animal - if someone shoots a domestic housecat it shows a lack of rational thinking and a lack of responsible gun ownership. Even if you're in a rural area that's still not normal behavior when a water gun or hose can effectively scare a cat off one's property.

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119837 of 122091
Subject: Re: shot by a neighbor .. Date: 10/8/2012 5:23 PM
another kitty shooting ..
http://www.theprovince.com/news/bc/Langford+shot+crossbow+su...

nl

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement