UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ScholarGypsy Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308519  
Subject: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 8:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I felt desperate to lower spending one week ago. Felt willing to give up AOL, trash the computers, throw stuff out and become a hermit I guess.

Browsing a book on personal finance and debt payment at the bookstore, showed one author suggesting I invest $500.00 in a computer, and buy the QUICKEN software for bookkeeping. Obviously, I have a computer, but lack a printer. I hate software programs and their thick tech manuals. I usually let all software go to waste anyway.

Okay, so yesterday I used a credit card with my lowest APR to buy an annual subscription to Motley Fool. Was this wasteful? I can make all of my minimum payments, so I thought that becoming inspired and knowledgeable about debt-payoff is a justifiable expenditure.

Should I buy a printer? What is the guideline? I really could use it to printout debt reduction stuff online. What about Quicken. Is it really that easy? I usually fail to find and unzip downloaded files and stuff. I can't do that. It has to print out what I see on-line.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 4pillais One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136707 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 9:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Quicken is a nice program. You don't have to be a software engineer to use it. Just use their help menu. On the other hand, you can do almost the same tracking using Microsoft Excel too. So if you have that already installed in your machine just try to use it for some days. Can you borrow quicken from any of your freinds for the time being, so that you can just see it? There is a quicken board also here at MF.

Motley Fool subscription is not a waste at all. This is a nice board where you can get some valuable advise which keeps you motivated. It worked for me.

Author: sockwonder Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136708 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 9:10 AM
Recommendations: 2
Okay, so yesterday I used a credit card with my lowest APR to buy an annual subscription to Motley Fool. Was this wasteful?

No matter what else you buy, the subscription to The Motley Fool will give you the best bang for your buck.

Author: 4pillais One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136709 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 9:14 AM
http://boards.fool.com/messages.asp?mid=17672661

Name of the board is Mastering Quicken.

Author: sockwonder Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136710 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 9:18 AM
I checked Best Buy and Circuit City, but it looks like they don't have any inkjet printers for less than $79.99 online.

This link will take you to Micro Center's website. They have some pretty cheap namebrand inkjet printers for sale: http://www.microcenter.com/search_results_e_compare.phtml?search_id=1072952371c4ee97363b9f585667f919&page=1&per_page=&sort_price_direction=ASC&sort_by=product.retail

This link will take you to CompUSA's website. They also have some pretty cheap namebrand inkjet printers for sale:
http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?id=33&category_id=33&srch_type=catg2

Author: Fallout2Queen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136713 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 9:41 AM
Should I buy a printer? What is the guideline? I really could use it to printout debt reduction stuff online. What about Quicken. Is it really that easy? I usually fail to find and unzip downloaded files and stuff. I can't do that. It has to print out what I see on-line.

Look for used printers and pay cash for it if you really want one. I got our current printer (color inkjet) at a garage sale for $8.

I use Quicken but it's REALLY rare for me to ever print anything out.

Okay, so yesterday I used a credit card with my lowest APR to buy an annual subscription to Motley Fool. Was this wasteful? I can make all of my minimum payments, so I thought that becoming inspired and knowledgeable about debt-payoff is a justifiable expenditure.

No, it's not wasteful.

Author: PsycDoc One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136714 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 9:43 AM
Recommendations: 8
It's probably worth adding that computers are so much fun but, like so many fun avocations, can eat a nonstop hole in your wallet. I was a ham radio operator back in the day (we used to say, "back in the good old days," but somehow nobody acknowledges their goodness anymore, probably because they weren't so good). Anyway, I was an amateur radio guy and got into the hobby thinking I would stay within my budget. Soon I needed a better microphone ($75). Then I needed at least a multiband, omnidirectional antenna at $350, of course, because my old dipole ($2) wasn't worth a damn, and I knew I couldn't afford a good directional beam ($more). Then I wanted a good linear amplifier ($1200). Then I ABSOLUTELY needed a digital signal processor so I could sort out the desired signals from the interference ($500). Then, OF COURSE, I realized my old crusty radio looked and acted like a rusty boat anchor, so I bought a delicious new Yaesu all-band transceiver with dual VFOs and IF Shift and a zillion other must-have features ($3000). Then, after another few thousand dollars on credit cards for such nonsense, and then we suffered an unexpected financial blow, and my wife flew into a justified rage, and that was that. We had no emergency fund, and I was sinking us.

Computers are the ham radios of our time. If you're not careful you'll want the USB camera, then you'll need the Firewire™ (ahem™) camera, then the writeable DVD drive so you can make those much-needed DVDs for the grandparents, and then the faster computer, and then the must-have software, etc.

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but -- sure -- a computer can help you get out of debt if you use some of the tools you mentioned. Of course, it doesn't take a new computer to do any of this. Any $350 computer (Pentium III, 600 mHz... which was BLAZING just a year and a half ago) will browse the web and do Quicken BEAUTIFULLY. I recommend ComputerGeeks.com (not kidding) or TigerDirect.com for serious bargains, but you can probably find them locally as well. If you did happen to spend a LOT of cash on a sparkly 1.8 gigaHertz monster, consider returning it since you are in debt and can do MUCH better. (Unless you're planning to do some fancy work in Adobe Illustrator, and I can assure you that you are not, lol, you really don't absolutely REQUIRE one of these gigaHertz monstas.)

My operating philosophy (since you asked for opinions, lol, and I realize some will disagree) is that you cannot buy yourself out of debt no matter how good the tschotschke happens to be. Be conservative with this, and I promise you won't be sorry.

Doc

Author: CindyC72 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136715 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 9:50 AM
Recommendations: 6
I use Quicken but it's REALLY rare for me to ever print anything out.

Same here - I just look at it on screen, confirm, "Yep, still looks like crap," and continue along.

Seriously, their on-screen reports and such are very easy to read, and you will probably find that you don't need a printer.

Cindy

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136720 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 10:23 AM
Quicken is only a good investment if you use it. Ask some of your friends if the have that or Microsoft Money or any other bookkeeping program. If they do, take a look at it and see if you feel it would be benificial.

Author: a07843 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136721 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 10:28 AM
sockwonder,

You should be aware of the quality issue when buying cheap printers. They may break very quickly and be more expensive to repair than to pay a bit more for a dependable HewlettPackard. In the long run, I believe the HWP printers are probably going to turn out to cost you less money.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

a07843

Author: ncharge Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136724 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 11:04 AM
Recommendations: 3
You don't need a printer to use quicken. Just back up your files on a regular basis. And quicken is very easy to use - it is just like a checkbood register except the software remembers your transaction and will fill in many of the slots for you.

Quicken has been a lifesaver for me. It really helps me control my spending and know where my money is or should be going. I am paid twice a month. I used Quicken's scheduled transactions feature to automatically log each paycheck and every bill that has to be written off that check - including the quarterly and semiannual bills. I also included transfers to savings. So, on payday, I open quicken and there, in a nice clean list, are all the upcoming bills and, most importantly, the amount left over to spend on discretionary items like food and gas before the next paycheck is right there in the bottom right corner. I try have money left over from this amount that I can add to my bill payments next paycheck. As bills arrive in my mailbox, I write the check, log the check number next to the scheduled payment in the Quicken, and mail it out the next day. Since I started using Quicken, I have never had a late payment or run out of money to pay bills due to poor accounting or poor planning.

I think it is definitely worth the investment.

Author: reverbbrad Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136725 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 11:05 AM
Recommendations: 6

Ok, someone has to be the luddite here.

I have never used quicken, so I can't speak to its particular usability or usefulness.

What I can tell you is that with some self-discipline, you can probably achieve the same results with a spiral notebook and pack of pens that can probably be bought at a local CVS for about $3. I also use an index card box to house my cleared checks. Just keep your bills and receipts and track them for a couple months. Once you see where all your money is going, it'll be easier to make good budget decisions.

Generally speaking, I can count on one hand the number of things that I have bought where I was actually "spending money to save money". I dunno if spiffy software would really count.

-Brad

Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136726 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 11:09 AM
First, I almost never print anything at home. Before that, while I was still in college without a printer, I either printed stuff out at the school computer labs, or wandered over to Kinkos between classes and printed there.

Second, I don't use a money-based software for my financial stuff...it's all in Excel. The beauty of this is it is a simple little tool, and I am able to manipulate it however I want, to show me exactly what I want to know. Plus, it came with the PC.

Of course, I'm a computer geek with a FIRM grip around my wallet, so YMMV.

impolite

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136729 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 11:16 AM
What I can tell you is that with some self-discipline, you can probably achieve the same results with a spiral notebook and pack of pens that can probably be bought at a local CVS for about $3. I also use an index card box to house my cleared checks. Just keep your bills and receipts and track them for a couple months. Once you see where all your money is going, it'll be easier to make good budget decisions.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's all about the person though. I never do good with pen and paper. Putting things on computer keeps me better organized.

Author: blkmagwom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136730 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 11:21 AM
The main issue with printers is not just the initial cost, but the cost of printing ink. It can get really expensive if you print just a moderate amount every month. If you don't print much at all, you still will need to buy new ink because it would have dried up.

You didn't give us details as to your budget and your debt, but my advice is, get out from under a sizeable amount of debt before you buy a new printer.

Finally, if you have a Kinko's anywhere near you, you can print there if you need to on occasion.

-b-

Author: TheDreamer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136731 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 11:35 AM
Should I buy a printer? What is the guideline?

Guess that depends on how much you'll use it other than relating to your finances.

For finances, I only use the printer once a year....to generate a hard copy of all my (recently completed tax year) accounts for storage as part of the records I keep after completing my tax return.

On Motley Fool subscription

I don't think it was a waste, even though I had trouble scraping up the cash....I just added the amount to the payment to my card..I'm sure they don't apply the extra amount towards new charges....but the key is to keep making progress on my debt month to month (doesn't always work out that way, but at least I'm trying....now).

On getting Quicken....

It doesn't have to be Quicken...though it is one of the popular packages....I use MSMoney....only because when I was looking at books to improve my finances...I looked at the For Dummies series...and there was one for MSMoney w/Trial CD. I ended up buying the software after the trial expired. And, I made good progress for about 9 months after that....then I reversed and undid the progress plus add about $16k....before I started coming here.

There are also free or shareware packages that can do some of the funtionality....I think the GNUcash is one.

The Dreamer.

Author: reverbbrad Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136732 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 11:40 AM
Recommendations: 2
It's all about the person though. I never do good with pen and paper. Putting things on computer keeps me better organized.

This is true, and any tool that helps someone get organized is a good idea. And, I think that convenience does have some actual value that can be worth paying for (assuming the program makes things more convenient. For me, it would be worse. I'd fire up the computer, play SIMS or Civilization for an hour, surf the Fool, look at the program again, procrastinate some more...).

I still think I would advise taking a shot at doing this the old-fashioned way first, particularly if money is tight. If it doesn't work out, you can always try the software later.

-Brad

Author: halfnickle Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136735 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 11:43 AM
"...it's all in Excel. The beauty of this is it is a simple little tool, and I am able to manipulate it however I want, to show me exactly what I want to know. Plus, it came with the PC. impolite"

Agreed. Excel ( or Lotus123) is tops. With Excel you design the spreadsheets, it's not like lead you by the hand Quicken.

Whoo hoo, I used ChartWizard and Data Analysis Pak - Regression tables in my finance class last quarter --- Let's see Quicken do that!

Author: xraymd Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136736 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 11:48 AM
I still think I would advise taking a shot at doing this the old-fashioned way first, particularly if money is tight. If it doesn't work out, you can always try the software later.

Greetings, Brad, I'm in your corner. Despite having a degree in math and despite having worked as a software developer in my former career, once I decided to get SERIOUS about budgeting and tracking my money (in, say, 1983), I did so by carrying around a 3x5 notebook to record expenses. Over the years, I refined the system and it is still working excellently for me!

I certainly see the advantages of using a program like Quicken or MS Money, say, for forecasting and for rapidly examining each budget category for total annual expenses. BUT (and this is the big BUT) I think it is only too easy to hold off on really starting to get a grip under the mistaken impression that it takes spending money on a specific method to get started. Nuh uh! All those years ago I got started by going to the library and taking out a book on how to set up a budget (which focused on the envelope method of reserving cash and accounting for expenses in different categories) and this was all it really took (plus my TOTAL determination to do it) to get started and keep going. How about SAVING for Quicken or MS Money as an early goal?

xraymd

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136737 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 11:51 AM
This is true, and any tool that helps someone get organized is a good idea. And, I think that convenience does have some actual value that can be worth paying for (assuming the program makes things more convenient. For me, it would be worse. I'd fire up the computer, play SIMS or Civilization for an hour, surf the Fool, look at the program again, procrastinate some more...).
------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can play Civilization for just an hour? ;) As with anything it is all a matter of prioiaties. I just bought MSN Money because my paper method just wasn't getting the job done for me. However I had put off buying Money for a number of weeks until I knew I wouldn't need the money for something else. It came out of discrentionary income. Just means that DW and I won't be seeing any movies for this month. Not that there was anything we wanted to see anyway.

Author: sockwonder Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136749 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 12:36 PM
You should be aware of the quality issue when buying cheap printers. They may break very quickly and be more expensive to repair than to pay a bit more for a dependable HewlettPackard. In the long run, I believe the HWP printers are probably going to turn out to cost you less money.

Actually, one or more of the $40 or so printers on the sites I mentioned were HP printers. And I've had a Canon BJ200(0?) for 2 years now with no problems. Price? $20.

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136756 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 1:31 PM
No matter what else you buy, the subscription to The Motley Fool will give you the best bang for your buck.

But what about my $0.99 cap gun? :)

DT

Author: ScholarGypsy Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136796 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 7:12 PM
Okay, thank you all. I think for now, I'll use pen and paper, and print out at the public library. Lots of collective wisdom here and I appreciate everyone's experience.

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136802 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/15/2002 8:09 PM
I felt desperate to lower spending one week ago. Felt willing to give up AOL, trash the computers, throw stuff out and become a hermit I guess.

Browsing a book on personal finance and debt payment at the bookstore, showed one author suggesting I invest $500.00 in a computer, and buy the QUICKEN software for bookkeeping. Obviously, I have a computer, but lack a printer. I hate software programs and their thick tech manuals. I usually let all software go to waste anyway.

Hi ScholarGypsy!

First of all, welcome to The Motley Fool, and to this board! We're delighted that you've joined us here, and I can guarantee you'll get plenty of wonderful tips, help, ideas right here to help you with your debt situation. In addition, there are many areas here at TMF which will prove valuable to you.

As far as spending to decrease your debt, I'd say you should avoid spending on anything you don't absolutely need. While Quicken is a wonderful tool (I use it myself), it's just that, a tool. It's not a magic bullet that's going to immediately solve anything. Truthfully, as long as you have paper and pencil, you've got the tools you really must have.

Among the many tips you'll be hearing here is the one that urges you to carefully evaluate your financial situation. Determine exactly how much comes in, and how much goes out--down to the penny if possible. Figure out where all the spending is, and then start the cutting. Cut out everything that isn't essential. Sacrifice now, and you'll be able to reap the rewards later.

Your goal has to be to absolutely stop charging, and pay more than the minimum each month. Paying only the minimum traps you, and you'll be paying for years, and years, and years, and years. Paying more than the minimum is truly the magic bullet.

Also, clean up around your house. Get rid of what you don't absolutely need, and sell it. Use eBay to sell, or have a garage sale. Then, put the proceeds towards the debt.

Finally, consider a 2nd or even 3rd job. Even part time work at a local fast food or Wal-Mart can allow you the extra money to throw at the charges to make them disappear all the faster.

There are tons of ideas here, and these are just a few. You've made the hardest and most difficult step already--the decision to address the debts. Now you need to stay dedicated and determined. You'll see that success is easier than you thought!

Good luck, and again, welcome! :-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: obiwanwon One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136819 of 308519
Subject: Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date: 8/16/2002 12:00 AM
I agree with ncharge about financial software...you will never bounce another check...if you use it right.

-jeff

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement