UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Bowhnt123 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75528  
Subject: Should I go over my employers match? Date: 11/25/2000 11:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My company will match 50 percent, up to 4 percent of my annual income. I am currently depositing 13 percent of my salary, or 9 percent above what they will match. Is it wise to put this money in my 401k? I have heard others at work talking about putting monies in excess of company match into Roth IRAs.I am currently at the 10,500 max per year. Any help would be great.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26311 of 75528
Subject: Re: Should I go over my employers match? Date: 11/25/2000 11:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Greetings, Bowhnt123, and welcome. You asked:

My company will match 50 percent, up to 4 percent of my annual income. I am currently depositing 13 percent of my salary, or 9 percent above what they will match. Is it wise to put this money in my 401k? I have heard others at work talking about putting monies in excess of company match into Roth IRAs.I am currently at the 10,500 max per year. Any help would be great.

It all depends on the options in your plan as opposed to what you would do outside of it. For some ideas on what you should evaluate, see my article When Not to Use Your 401(k) Plan at http://www.fool.com/retirement/retireeport/2000/retireeport001023.htm .

Regards..Pixy

Author: jlsblayz One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26313 of 75528
Subject: Re: Should I go over my employers match? Date: 11/25/2000 3:18 PM
i think the general rule of thumb is your first investment should be to take advantage of your employers match. after that, use your Roth IRA. this is only 2000 per year though, so after matching 401k and Roth IRA, use your non-matching IRA.

Author: Ringfinger Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26320 of 75528
Subject: Re: Should I go over my employers match? Date: 11/26/2000 2:55 PM
Along those same lines, are the funds any good at your employer? Are the fees low? Do you trust yourself to make deposits to a Roth? Are you even eligible for a Roth?

Take a look at Pixy's link, I believe that will help you out.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement