UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: zathrus1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65  
Subject: Re: Drawers Date: 4/5/2009 9:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Should I pack all this stuff in boxes, or can it stay in the drawers and be moved as is? I think the office supplies will have to go, but I'm not sure about the others.

Ah - an excellent question.

Here are some guidelines that might help...

1) In general, clothing can usually remain in dressers - they don't weigh much and won't get damaged by the move process. A good mover will wrap your dresser with Stretch Wrap (usually called shrink wrap by the movers), and then pad the whole thing with a blanket.

Now - before we go further, dressers come in 3 basic types, depending on how many drawers go across. The types are single, double, and triple. A single or double dresser can usually be moved with the drawers full, but a triple is another story. The triples are really heavy, and because they are so wide they're difficult to get around corners and such.

2) Always remove anything that is breakable, small valuables, and perfume. This kind of stuff can either get lost, or destroy your clothes if things go wrong.

3) Pack anything that is heavy. We tried to move a dresser once and couldn't budge it. The customer had loaded the bottom 3 drawers with Books and Photo Albums.

4) If you have a lot of important papers and files in your desk or file cabinet, I would advise packing them. Anything that is Really important - tax documents, birth certificates etc, should go in a box in your car. If you have a lot of files in your file cabinet, I would ask the estimator what she thinks. A lot depends on how sturdy the cabinet is, and how tightly packed the files are. If you leave stuff in it, be sure and move the heaviest stuff to the bottom if you can. A top heavy file cabinet can really get out of control going up or down the truck ramp or stairs.

5) If you have a nightstand or any other drawer with a lot of little items in it, just go ahead and pack the stuff. Night stands tend to end up stacked upside down to fill empty space in the truck

6) Regarding the Linens, there is a special kind of box called a Wardrobe box that is about 5 feet tall, and 2 feet square. We usually pack a customers linens in one or two of those, because linens tend to take a ton of space.

Here's a little trick. Let the estimators know you're getting several estimates, and that the choice is really hard for you. If only they could supply you with some free boxes it might really help. An aggressive sales person will usually carry some with them.

Zath
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement