Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19218  
Subject: Should I Really join FaceBook? Date: 12/24/2013 2:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
Thanks to it409 from the HURL board.

A good laugh for people in the over 60 group!

When I bought my Blackberry, I thought about the 30-year business I ran with 1800 employees, all without a cell phone that plays music, takes videos, pictures and communicates with Facebook and Twitter.

I signed up under duress for Twitter and Facebook, so my seven kids, their spouses, my 13 grand kids and 2 great grand kids could communicate with me in the modern way. I figured I could handle something as simple as Twitter with only 140 characters of space.

My phone was beeping every three minutes with the details of everything except the bowel movements of the entire next generation. I am not ready to live like this. I keep my cell phone in the garage in my golf bag.

The kids bought me a GPS for my last birthday because they say I get lost every now and then going over to the grocery store or library. I keep that in a box under my tool bench with the Blue tooth [it's red] phone I am supposed to use when I drive. I wore it once and was standing in line at Barnes and Noble talking to my wife and everyone in the nearest 50 yards was glaring at me. I had to take my hearing aid out to use it, and I got a little loud.

I mean the GPS looked pretty smart on my dash board, but the lady inside that gadget was the most annoying, rudest person I had run into in a long time. Every 10 minutes, she would sarcastically say,
"Re-calc-u-lating." You would think that she could be nicer. It was like she could barely tolerate me. She would let go with a deep sigh and then tell me to make a U-turn at the next light. Then if I made a right turn instead. Well, it was not a good relationship...

When I get really lost now, I call my wife and tell her the name of the cross streets and while she is starting to develop the same tone as Gypsy, the GPS lady, at least she loves me.

To be perfectly frank, I am still trying to learn how
to use the cordless phones in our house. We have had them for 4 years, but I still haven't figured out how I lose three phones all at once and have to run around digging under chair cushions, checking bathrooms, and the dirty laundry baskets when the phone rings.

The world is just getting too complex for me.

They even mess me up every time I go to the grocery store. You would think they could settle on something themselves but this sudden "Paper or Plastic?" every time I check out just knocks me for a loop. I bought some of those cloth reusable bags to avoid looking confused, but I never remember to take them with me.

Now I toss it back to them. When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual." Then it's their turn to stare at me with a blank look. I was recently asked if I tweet. I answered, "No, but I do fart a lot."

We senior citizens don't need any more gadgets. The TV remote and the garage door remote are about all we can handle.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18899 of 19218
Subject: Re: Should I Really join FaceBook? Date: 12/24/2013 12:17 PM
Recommendations: 2
Both my husband and I decided that Facebook was not for us.
I am the one who tells their life story to the person standing in line next to them at the grocery store. I cannot imagine what kind of trouble I'd get myself into if I joined Facebook.
We have a GPS and on one of our trips from NY to MA, we found ourselves in a sub-division of lovely homes which would have been just fine but we were supposed to be on the highway!
I must say though that the GPS has been quite helpful in getting us from our new home to the major stores that are 3-8 miles away.
We have the new IphoneS. We love it. Our girls, who are nearly 40, communicate mostly by text messaging. Even my husband has gotten the knack of it and will text message his two brothers.
The Iphone is great for taking and sending pictures to relatives. My girls have about 4,000 pictures of my grandkids on their iphones.
I remembered how difficult and costly it was to buy film for a camera, take the film to the store for processing, pick it up, etc. etc.
We had little money when we first got married so buying film was not in the budget. I do regret though that I do not have lots of pictures of my children but I imagine most people our age (65) were in the same boat.
I do love my computer. I used to have a PC and when it broke down for good my husband bought himself a laptop. I never wanted a laptop until he set his up and I took it over and said to him "this is mine". Go get your own!

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18900 of 19218
Subject: Re: Should I Really join FaceBook? Date: 12/24/2013 1:52 PM
Recommendations: 1
I find Facebook useful for keeping up with extended family like cousins I don't see very often. Its also great for groups like your class from high school.

As to gadgets, there are so many new technologies coming out all the time, I think you have to be selective about the ones you try to learn. I like to wait a while until something becomes popular and they get the bugs out of it.

But you can go too far. I had an aunt who had us hunting for wind up alarm clocks (like she used to have) because she did not want to learn to use an digital electric alarm clock. If you resist too much, the technology world leaves you in the dust.

Johnny Carson told jokes about the difficulty of programming the digital alarm clock in the old VCRs. A whole generation got the idea they could not learn that technology. Those same people also had trouble learning computers. They put their foot wrong and developed an attitude. It has not served them well.

Author: jjbklb Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18901 of 19218
Subject: Re: Should I Really join FaceBook? Date: 12/24/2013 2:42 PM
Recommendations: 0
I did open a Facebook account,but I NEVER bother to put anything on it.I can request my friends & relatives to "Friend" me.then I'll receive e-mail notifications when new posts are added by them.I can then make a comment on their Facebook page for them to see.

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18902 of 19218
Subject: Re: Should I Really join FaceBook? Date: 12/25/2013 3:55 PM
Recommendations: 5
I loved this!

Yeah, I finally got on Facebook, but figured out how to VERY SEVERELY restrict it all to immediate family. Period. I keep getting requests to "friend" people but I ignore them. Maybe I'll lose friends???

No GPS, either. We use (sssshhhhh... ) MAPS for trips. My wife navigates and I drive. Simple.

Laptop? Well, this is one because I needed a new PC. (My poor old Dell downstairs is REALLY slooow nowadays.) So our son gave me this one. Kind of nice.

SIRI? My son uses her/him/it/whatever. Weird.

Cordless phone? Yes, we do have one of those. Nice. However, make sure you also have a hardwired on in the house! If you only have wireless, and you lose power... no more phone.

We also have an ancient Tracfone for occasion al use. Usually levft off. I recharge it on rare occasions when we know one of the kids will need to contact us on a trip -- or if we really, really want to call a B&B en route.

Tweet? Nope - no Twitter. Don't even know how to do that! Fart? Yeah - I do know how to do that!

Vermonter

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18903 of 19218
Subject: Re: Should I Really join FaceBook? Date: 1/3/2014 8:08 PM
I am dictating this on my iPad. Yes I have a Facebook account. I also have a Facebook page for my Zazzle store and my photography, and even for one of my dogs whose photo has gone viral. It's not that I keep up with family so much on Facebook but I have a lot of doggy friends who post about their puppies, show wins, rescue dogs available etc. People also find Facebook an outlet for posting about their personal problems, their ill parents, their sick dogs, or, inquire about fixing thing, medications for dogs, weather and whatever people normally talk about.

On the other hand, Facebook can take a lot of your time. Sometimes it seems I get nothing done.

As for GPS, my Garmin was stolen out of my car. I now have a car that has its own GPS. But I don't necessarily trust it so I always go to Google maps and print out where I have to go. I have a GPS in my iPhone too but I can't always make it work right. I used to be pretty tech savvy, but now at 78 technology seems to be wanting to pass me by. I do try my best to keep up though, learning new things is good for the old brain.

Author: GWPotter Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18904 of 19218
Subject: Re: Should I Really join FaceBook? Date: 1/3/2014 9:19 PM
Follydolly wrote
learning new things is good for the old brain

I feel learning new things is good without any qualification or modification.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18905 of 19218
Subject: Re: Should I Really join FaceBook? Date: 1/6/2014 12:52 PM
Follydolly wrote
learning new things is good for the old brain

I feel learning new things is good without any qualification or modification.

I have some friends whose health is rapidly deteriorating, they eat whatever they want even though they have diabetes and they never exercise at all.
When I was a child there was no such thing as jogging unless of cause you were sprinting to the local bar or liquor store around the corner. Parents smoked and drank like fiends and no one seemed to be concerned about their health.
My husband retired recently from a very stressful job working 12 hour days. He is now involved in online research trying to find out where his relatives came from. He is as thorough in that endeavor as he was being a workaholic and he is enjoying this so much more!
Thankfully we relocated to a small town in New England where our 80 year old next door neighbor puts us to shame by shoveling out her car after one foot of snow!!! People here are hardy.
Our kind of people!

Author: FoolishGardner Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18958 of 19218
Subject: Re: Should I Really join FaceBook? Date: 2/15/2014 12:14 PM
Thanks for a great laugh!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement