Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: IllustratedMan Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 103  
Subject: Re: Portfolio advice book Date: 6/7/2005 12:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Should the rest be in the market since I don't have any big expenses that I plan on using?

I think you are the only one who can answer this, as one would have to know your age, time horizon, risk tolerance, financial situation, personal situation, and many other details besides.

Should I put some additional in laddered CDs or bonds.

See above. I don't think anybody 'needs' these things unless they need the income or have goals for short-term time horizons.

What's an appropriate balance between 'safe' money and investment money.

Again, I think this is entirely due to your personal circumstances. Much of it would depend on a) the size of your portfolio and b) the dependability of your regular income (usually from a job).

I am not a fan of making this overly complicated, if that means anything. The traditional way to approach this is to divide your objectives by time horizon and invest appropriately for each. So, for example, if you wanted to buy a car in a year then you'd want your car money in somewhere very safe, ala CDs. If you want to invest for retirement and know what you are doing and have a long time horizon, then you ought to consider investing in the stock market. If you have debts, you should pay them off. If you don't own a house, you should try to do so. If you aren't funding a Roth IRA and can do so, then do so immediately. Simple stuff, for the most part.

I like Jane Bryant Quinn's "Making the Most of Your Money" as a general personal finance book myself, even if it is now dated in places.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement