UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 741932  
Subject: Should you eat that bacon? Date: 11/15/2012 11:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
A handy flowchart:

http://6.mshcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/bacon-flowcha...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 655277 of 741932
Subject: Re: Should you eat that bacon? Date: 11/15/2012 1:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Despite the fact that bacon is basically about 12 to 24 hours removed from whatever filth a swine has just eaten, it is overly salty and just tastes gross.

I hated it before I ever started eating right.

Let the 'anti' recs begin.

decath

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 655296 of 741932
Subject: Re: Should you eat that bacon? Date: 11/15/2012 2:18 PM
Recommendations: 3
"Despite the fact that bacon is basically about 12 to 24 hours removed from whatever filth a swine has just eaten, it is overly salty and just tastes gross."

Yeah..about as bad as something that has been underground for months (potato or other root crop).......or hanging on a bush branch soaking up toxins from the atmosphere......and crapped on by flies and other insects...... then probably picked by low wage folks who didn't wash their hands after they went to the toilet out in the fields.

And those fish....? eating whatever they could get their mouths on...flies..more flies...insects....

Most pigs are fed corn..and the like...probably a better diet than 'wild food' and other 'crops'.

t.

Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 655323 of 741932
Subject: Re: Should you eat that bacon? Date: 11/15/2012 3:30 PM
Recommendations: 2
Despite the fact that bacon is basically about 12 to 24 hours removed from whatever filth a swine has just eaten, it is overly salty and just tastes gross.

I hated it before I ever started eating right.

Let the 'anti' recs begin.

decath

Jules? Is that you? :-)

Vincent: Want some bacon?
Jules: No man, I don't eat pork.
Vincent: Are you Jewish?
Jules: Nah, I ain't Jewish, I just don't dig on swine, that's all.
Vincent: Why not?
Jules: Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.
Vincent: Bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood.
Jules: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker. Pigs sleep and root in shit. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got sense enough to disregard its own feces.
Vincent: How about a dog? Dogs eats its own feces.
Jules: I don't eat dog either.
Vincent: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?
Jules: I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.
Vincent: Ah, so by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?
Jules: Well we'd have to be talkin' about one charming motherfuckin' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 655325 of 741932
Subject: Re: Should you eat that bacon? Date: 11/15/2012 3:35 PM
Pigs are actually pretty charming. We bought a baby potbellied pig for my FIL and he was quite the character. Highly intelligent. As long as they don't get too big (by overfeeding) they make great pets.

Very onery however. They are experts at finding food. Wilber (I know, creative) was relentless about figuring ways to get in FIL & MIL's pantry. Once he got into a 50 lb flour bag. What he did not eat was spread all over the house.

He eventually became an outdoor pig. MIL insisted on it. <g>

decath

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 655352 of 741932
Subject: Re: Should you eat that bacon? Date: 11/15/2012 4:41 PM
"Despite the fact that bacon is basically about 12 to 24 hours removed from whatever filth a swine has just eaten, it is overly salty and just tastes gross." - decath

Duality and separation is alive and well existing on the retire early campfire board.

Bacon is delicious!

Artie

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 655357 of 741932
Subject: Re: Should you eat that bacon? Date: 11/15/2012 4:52 PM
"Most pigs are fed corn..and the like...probably a better diet than 'wild food' and other 'crops'." - tele

I have a degree in Agriculture with a major in Animal Science. I have also take graduate courses in Swine Production. Over 95%+ of the pork we eat in this country is now raised in SPF (specific pathogen free) facilities and never touches the ground. Large companies like Con-Agra, Goldkist, etc. control the pork industry and build multi million dollar facilities where the pigs are kept in confinement facilities with automatic flush systems, and never go outside. The workers have to wear special clothing when they go in the "barns", boots, face masks, gloves, etc. and shower in and out. It ain't your grandpa's pig farm anymore.

It's all high tech, with breeding stock specially selected for low back fat and muscling, large litters, fast growing putting on 1 lb of gain for every 2 lbs of feed, vaccinated, needle teeth removed and tails docked, and fed special diets throughout their entire lives. In fact most baby pigs are born through artificial insemination with the Boar and Sows never touching one another. The semen is kept in large sterile containers in liquid nitrogen.

Trust me, it's nothing like what you see on television. It's more like something out of a Sci-Fi movie.

Art

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 655410 of 741932
Subject: Re: Should you eat that bacon? Date: 11/15/2012 10:46 PM
Recommendations: 2
We bought a baby potbellied pig for my FIL and he was quite the character. Highly intelligent. As long as they don't get too big (by overfeeding) they make great pets.

-------------------

True about that overfeeding. A friend of mine got a pot bellied pig and kept in the back yard with his dog. His yard has tons of oak trees so the pig "pigged" out on the endless acorns. The pig finally got so big, he kicked the dog out of his dog house and took over. The poor dog had to move into the garage.

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 655717 of 741932
Subject: Re: Should you eat that bacon? Date: 11/17/2012 4:58 PM
Recommendations: 1
"Despite the fact that bacon is basically about 12 to 24 hours removed from whatever filth a swine has just eaten, it is overly salty and just tastes gross."

Yeah..about as bad as something that has been underground for months (potato or other root crop).......or hanging on a bush branch soaking up toxins from the atmosphere......and crapped on by flies and other insects...... then probably picked by low wage folks who didn't wash their hands after they went to the toilet out in the fields.

And those fish....? eating whatever they could get their mouths on...flies..more flies...insects....

Most pigs are fed corn..and the like...probably a better diet than 'wild food' and other 'crops'.

When I was a kid this hillbilly family from West Virginia lived next door to my grandmother. They tended to have a, well, casual attitude towards cleanliness (my grandmother used to gossip to me about how the mother never wiped up her stovetop after something spilled, and how their house was infested with roaches). One day when I said something critical after witnessing one of the kids dropping some food on the ground and then picking it up and eating it, the mother just laughed at me and said, in her Southern drawl, "Oh Andrew, ever'body eats about a peck o' dirt before they die."

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement