Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFRavynous Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7313  
Subject: Show and Tell Date: 5/10/2003 4:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Last weekend I finished the piecing for a quilt top. The pattern is from Traditions with a Twist, and is called "Blooming Nine Patch". The basic idea is 9P alternating with solid patches set on point. The pattern calls for 8 fabrics, basically large print. Three solids in the center fabric one, surround with 9P made of fabrics one and 2, surround with solid fabric 2, repeat and end with triangles of color 8.

I admit that I have a love for amish patterns, and simplicity. However I also like to think outside the box. This project was, for me, an exploration of colors, patterns, interactions. Where as I'm pleased with the end result, though don't we all think, "Damn if I'd only. . . ", I'm more pleased with the learning and experience.

For the stats amoung you, the squares finish at 3.75 inches. Quilt finishes at 72 x 82. Though the pattern calls for 8 fabrics I worked from my stash so the quilt is actually comprised of somewhat over 20 fabrics. I do wish I'd thought to record things as I went through the fabric selection process. That was a two week journey. Line them up, leave them for a day. Come back slap your forehead and go, "WTF were you thinking!" Adjust, repeat, finally sigh and go with it. This photographic journey begins when fabric has been selected, 9p pieced, and solids waiting for cutting.

This is dedicated to EL who, out of the goodness of his heart allowed me to tack a piece of batting to the living room wall and use it as a design board. He was also gracious enough to allow me to use the dining room table as a work area and endure 3 weeks of a cutting board, sewing machine, and fabric pieces dominating it. I won't mention pins on the floor, trash bag on the door handle to the kitchen, much less the ironing board next to the table, those are assumed.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290195727

Rav

Sorry, I should mention due to the camera and timing of photos their a bit dark and don't do justice to it in reality. Shrug.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement