Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 193123  
Subject: Sick of Sandy Date: 10/29/2012 6:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
So far, so good. I've had only a couple of brief power burps (not enough to have to reset digital clocks). The wind has really picked up, and it's been raining since last night, but I'm on high ground so not worried about flooding. Our worst wind is predicted for about 8:00 to midnight tonight.

Christina, how are you doing?

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post Back To Top
Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191044 of 193123
Subject: Re: Sick of Sandy Date: 10/29/2012 7:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Christina, how are you doing?

Well.....if I don't think about that crane that is hanging 90 floors up on a building under construction just a couple of blocks from me, I guess I'm OK. (And they don't think that they can do anything about that crane until late tomorrow morning -- I guess I will not sleep very well tonight.)

Not much rain but more wind than I'd like.

I also don't have to worry about flooding (at least not here where I live) but it's beginning to look like the subways are going to take a serious hit as salt water may be inundating the lower Manhattan area. Lots of transformers exploding and such.

Despite the fact that all the financial markets were closed today (and again tomorrow), my office was open so I worked from home all day. That may have been a good thing as otherwise that crane might have made me crazy.

Christina

Author: malaoshi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191045 of 193123
Subject: Re: Sick of Sandy Date: 10/29/2012 8:51 PM
On the west coast we are thinking of all of you and keeping our fingers crossed for you...
We hope you keep dry, keep warm , keep your power on and have no worries about relatives...
Special best to you Phil, and Christina...
Big Momma

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191046 of 193123
Subject: Re: Sick of Sandy Date: 10/29/2012 9:00 PM
Recommendations: 0
"That may have been a good thing as otherwise that crane might have made me crazy.

Christina "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You shouldn't let the crane pull on you.

Howie52

I understand part of the Ocean City, MD fisherman's pier was
washed away - but you'd kind of expect that if you'd seen
it in good weather.

Now folks need to worry about the flooding from the rains in the
mountains. Susquehanna River flows to the bay - amongst others.

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191048 of 193123
Subject: Re: Sick of Sandy Date: 10/30/2012 12:28 AM
70 and sunny in Denver. Sometimes it's nice to be a landlocked state.

Prayers of safety to everyone on the east coast.

Author: Gettinnear One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191049 of 193123
Subject: Re: Sick of Sandy Date: 10/30/2012 8:22 AM
Recommendations: 1
Believe it or not the remnants of Sandy are still washing waves and sand over the beaches and onto the roadways here in Fort Lauderdale, a long time after she passed by.

I have a son in R.I. that we couldn't reach last night, so no power/phones there, for a while at least.

Hope everyone does well - from someone who has lived thru a dozen or so of them.

Al (Gettinnear)

Author: aurelutra2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191050 of 193123
Subject: Re: Sick of Sandy Date: 10/30/2012 10:14 AM
Hoping to hear from you this morning, Christina.
Hearing of the massive power failures in Manhattan and
hoping you are above the line?

The Albany area was mostly spared.
I live about 45 minutes west of there: damage minor,
esp. compared to NYC.

A/L

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191052 of 193123
Subject: Re: Sick of Sandy Date: 10/30/2012 2:11 PM
Recommendations: 3
Well, I'm still here - and so is that darn crane! However, "experts" have determined that it "safe" for the time being.

I did not lose power but the winds were fierce.

All of Manhattan below 34th Street is without power and may well be for up to 4 - 5 days.

No subways for probably at least another 4 - 5 days. Some buses may start running tonight.

I had to turn off the news today (similar to after 9/11) as I just couldn't watch any more of the devastation throughout the area.

I was amazed by the video of the entrance to the Brooklyn-Battery tunnel. The tunnel is completely flooded -- that's almost 12 foot high!!!

Wonder how Phil is doing (and others down his way)?

Christina

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191053 of 193123
Subject: Re: Sick of Sandy Date: 10/30/2012 2:41 PM
Wonder how Phil is doing

Splendidly, thanks.

I finally caught up with the last of my "check up ons" this morning. Turns out they're on an extended road trip, but neighbors have checked, and everything's ok at home for them. It's still gray and gloomy here, but the rain may actually have finally stopped during my nap. At least I can't tell that it is raining. And I never lost power, which had been my biggest fear. Oddly enough the one lingering concern is a friends parents in Ohio who are getting pounded by snow from Sandy's backside, as it were.

The news from NYC has been awful. I saw the live coverage last night of the horrible fire in the Rockaways, and really cringed this morning when I saw coverage of all the flooding. I remember how disruptive the WTC bombing was, and that only put one PATH train out of service. I can't imagine what it's going to take for them to get the city moving again.

Phil

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191054 of 193123
Subject: Re: Sick of Sandy Date: 10/30/2012 6:28 PM
The news from NYC has been awful. I saw the live coverage last night of the horrible fire in the Rockaways, and really cringed this morning when I saw coverage of all the flooding. I remember how disruptive the WTC bombing was, and that only put one PATH train out of service. I can't imagine what it's going to take for them to get the city moving again.

Glad you're OK, Phil.

That fire was actually in Breezy Point, where my ex and I shared a summer home with his parents for several years. It sickened me.

The flooding is just devastating. The Battery Tunnel (at the tip of Manhattan) had 12' of flooding. And the 6 subway tunnels over the East River are flooded as is the PATH from NJ.

The estimate for resumption of the subways is at least 4 -5 days but could be up to 2 weeks depending on how much damage they find once they pump out the water. But buses are resuming service as of this evening (free at that).

Most of Manhattan below 34th Street is without electricity and that is not expected to be restored for at least 4 - 5 days (more in any area where there are downed trees.

I won't even go into the damage in the outer burbs, Long Island or New Jersey.

I had to eventually turn off the TV (just like after 9/11) as it became overwhelming.

Christina

Author: ogrecat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191057 of 193123
Subject: Re: Sick of Sandy Date: 10/30/2012 8:13 PM
Glad to see you are OK; snow & wind in Ohio.

Author: NechesInvst Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191058 of 193123
Subject: Re: Sick of Sandy Date: 10/30/2012 9:24 PM
Having been through a couple of hurricanes, I (to a point) know what you're going through.

Glad to see the all the BBs survived unscathed...cranes and all.

My family down near DC and into Bucks county PA fared well also. Trees down, but missed the house. No power in PA, but that will hopefully come quickly.

Prayers to all!

Mike

Author: SirYoda Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191059 of 193123
Subject: Re: Sick of Sandy Date: 10/30/2012 10:30 PM
The Battery Tunnel (at the tip of Manhattan) had 12' of flooding.

The MTA Spokesman says that the Battery Tunnel has at least 43,000,000 gallons of water (43 Million!).

Hope everyone back east stays safe & dry!

Yoda

Author: BobSch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191060 of 193123
Subject: Re: Sick of Sandy Date: 10/31/2012 10:56 AM
The MTA Spokesman says that the Battery Tunnel has at least 43,000,000 gallons of water (43 Million!).

And not a drop to drink...

Stay safe all you right coasters.

Bob

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191061 of 193123
Subject: Re: Sick of Sandy Date: 10/31/2012 7:39 PM
And not a drop to drink...

Speaking of drinking water...Mayor Bloomberg announced yesterday that our water supply was being tested constantly and was OK but that the powers-that-be had added just a bit more chlorine to it just in case.

And several of the news channels, before Sandy hit, were telling folks that you really didn't need to buy cases of water but instead just fill up some pots and jugs, etc. (which is what I did).

Christina

Author: bosslady52 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191062 of 193123
Subject: Re: Sick of Sandy Date: 10/31/2012 7:51 PM
Son in Alexandria, VA did well; no loss of power. Son in Brooklyn also did fine, but has to go to CUNY tomorrow and with no subway running is looking at a painful commute via bus...says he's thinking of walking (90 minutes) instead of fighting the crowds. Happy to hear all here did well during the storm and feel so sorry for all the folks in NJ and NY who were hardest hit.

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191063 of 193123
Subject: Re: Sick of Sandy Date: 10/31/2012 8:33 PM
Son in Alexandria, VA did well; no loss of power.

Good karma is the only explanation. Dominion Power is worse than PEPCO. Glad to hear they both weathered the storm well. I don't envy Brooklyn son. It's going to be a while before the city is moving well again.

Phil

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement