Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am on permanent long term disability. I receive Social Security and a disability payment from my previous employer. The payment from my previous employer comes with a W2 form with the notation "sick pay" on it. I had always assumed I was not eligable to open an IRA because these payments are not "earned income". My tax accountant recently informed me she thought because the disability from my previous employer is reported on a W2 form that I am eligable to open an IRA. She said the tax code is somewhat vague regarding this issue. I would really like to open an IRA but I also don't want to get in trouble with the tax people. Does anyone have an oppnion regarding how sick pay and earned income are viewed by the government?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.