Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Fuzzzy Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8764  
Subject: Siebel CAP Analysis Date: 6/4/2001 9:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
Hey Gorilla Gamers,

I thought some people might be interested in knowing that Epoch Partners initiated coverage of Siebel Systems as their best software idea last week, and you can download it for free on their site at www.epoch.com

What's more is that they did a CAP valuation analysis (Gorilla Game chapter 4) for Siebel and they quantified it along with laying out the framework in table format. Other than the report I wrote on Microsoft while I was at The Motley Fool, I am not sure of any other report that lays out a CAP analysis. So, for those interested in the mechanics of it, check it out.

The software reports at Epoch provide good background of the industry. I think they are generally weak on financial analysis. But, you can get that elsewhere.

Best,

John Del Vecchio
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MikeBuckley Big red star, 1000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7748 of 8764
Subject: Re: Siebel CAP Analysis Date: 6/4/2001 6:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
John,

Good to see that you've held on to a similar screen name. Perhaps you can give Paul lessons about how to do that. :)

Can you point us to Epoch's CAP analysis of Siebel? I had seen the Epoch site already but didn't notice any CAP analysis.

--Mike Buckley

Author: XaosSurfer Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7750 of 8764
Subject: Re: Siebel CAP Analysis Date: 6/4/2001 7:29 PM
Mike:

Here it is: http://www.epoch.com/research_center/company/sebl/sebl_s0p1.html

Well worth reading.

Paul

Author: XaosSurfer Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7752 of 8764
Subject: Re: Siebel CAP Analysis Date: 6/4/2001 11:07 PM
John:

The Siebel report was awesome. Thanks for pointing out the CAP/DCF section, otherwise I may not have read the report.

A couple of questions spring to mind:

They claim a PEG of 0.7 for SEBL. I can't corroborate that figure at all. Any idea how they calculate the PEG?

They keep shares outstanding constant at 520 million - that seems optimistic.

However, the model looks great. What do you think of the MICAP idea?

Paul

Author: XaosSurfer Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7753 of 8764
Subject: Re: Siebel CAP Analysis Date: 6/4/2001 11:12 PM
Mike:

Good to see that you've held on to a similar screen name. Perhaps you can give Paul lessons about how to do that. :)

I have run out of changes for a full 12 months so XaosSurfer it is for the next year. However, I might sign up over on SI under a different name. Something like, WhoTheHellCaresAboutValuationAndTimingBeingTheSameOrDifferent.

However, my unique 'style' and my liberal use of the Mark Twain spelling system would give me away in a flash.

Paul

Author: MikeBuckley Big red star, 1000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7762 of 8764
Subject: Re: Siebel CAP Analysis Date: 6/5/2001 12:54 PM
Thanks, Paul!

--Mike Buckley

Author: MikeBuckley Big red star, 1000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7763 of 8764
Subject: Re: Siebel CAP Analysis Date: 6/5/2001 12:56 PM
WhoTheHellCaresAboutValuationAndTimingBeingTheSameOrDifferent.

OUCH! I deserved that, but you could have nailed me for worse things. :)

--Mike Buckley

Author: Fuzzzy Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7765 of 8764
Subject: Re: Siebel CAP Analysis Date: 6/5/2001 1:38 PM
Recommendations: 3
Hi Paul,

I don't have the report in front of me, so I am not sure about the 0.7 PEG.

They keep shares outstanding constant at 520 million - that seems optimistic.

Yes, this is optimistic since there will likely be a lot of options that are still in the money which will be exercised. However, it is difficult to estimate. I sent the analyst a note saying that this fact skews the analysis, and at least needs to be considered in some manner -- if not explicitly.

However, the model looks great. What do you think of the MICAP idea?

Well, I don't want to comment on specific stocks, but in general, I think it's difficult to say if the MICAP is reasonable or not because technology markets change rapidly. But, if CRM plays out like databases, then there could be a lot of value creation for the dominant vendor.

It seems to be more applicable to stable businesses like Coca-Cola. If Coke's stock gets hammered because of problems in Europe, the MICAP goes down, but will Coke really stop creating value in say 12 years? Probably not. People are going to be thirsty 12 years from now, and Coke is still likely to have the most dominant franchise, cash flows, and profit margins.

I think this is much harder for technology companies. Epoch deserves credit for doing the analysis and laying it out very well. You just need to determine whether or not you think the assumptions are reasonable.

Best,

John

Author: catnapper06 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8763 of 8764
Subject: Re: Siebel CAP Analysis Date: 9/4/2010 12:08 PM
John,
Having once been a loyal MF subscriber, upon discovering and switching to another site (Minyanville) as the storm began to brew three years ago, my parting words to the Fool were, "you might consider having at least one contrarian advisor on your staff, just for those of us who think the glass might be half empty."

While you have clearly been around a while (this is my first venture back) I am most glad to see your presence here. You almost make me want to return! Ha! And I will keep tabs on your opinions...

Catnapper

Author: LakeEffect Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8764 of 8764
Subject: Re: Siebel CAP Analysis Date: 9/6/2010 11:32 PM
Recommendations: 4
While John (Fuzz) certainly is (was) a righteous dude, it's prolly worth noting that he hasn't posted anything on TMF in 7 years and you're replying to a post made in 2001 ... just sayin'

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement