UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734695  
Subject: (sigh) It must be an election year... Date: 10/11/2000 12:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 13
...when 90% of the postings are off-topic and almost all seem to degenerate into partisan political debate.

I don't mind participating in the occasional off-topic thread -- I have done so and will keep doing so now and then -- but is there really anything about early retirement anymore, other than Republicans and Democrats talking about how their fabulous policies will better enable us to reach our goals and dreams and that the evil, insidious, worthless policies of their opponent will end the free world as we know it?

Party politics. Phooey. Hard-core, straight party line voting, IMO, is little more than a substitute for independent thought.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: yekim1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21420 of 734695
Subject: Re: (sigh) It must be an election year... Date: 10/11/2000 12:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We have a conundrum! Retired folks vote more often than others, maybe because they have more time to ponder such things. So, a board about Retire Early is likely to be about talking politics more frequently. Those of us who haven't RE'd yet are just practicing!

Author: lserrin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21426 of 734695
Subject: Re: (sigh) It must be an election year... Date: 10/11/2000 1:21 PM
Recommendations: 1
Hard-core, straight party line voting, IMO, is little more than a substitute for independent thought

Tell me that was an intentional pun, #29, becaise it is quite clever

Errin
easily amused .... since 1902 (I just caved to the temptation to do that, Drats!)

Author: RDDrdd Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21448 of 734695
Subject: Re: (sigh) It must be an election year... Date: 10/11/2000 2:44 PM
I don't mind participating in the occasional off-topic thread -- I have done so and will keep doing so now and then -- but is there really anything about early retirement anymore, other than Republicans and Democrats talking about how their fabulous policies will better enable us to reach our goals and dreams and that the evil, insidious, worthless policies of their opponent will end the free world as we know it?

Ziggy, you have totally missed the point. These political discussions are completely ON TOPIC.

My candidate is the man who will help us to achieve our wildest dreams of ER, and to do it a decade earlier than we could have on our own. The other guy is the one who will set our plans back 40 years, moving our retirment dates into our 80s or 90s and sending all the ERs who are already out of the rat race back into it. I just have to make it clear, and point out how abortion relates to ER and only one stance on that issue will permit us to RE, and I'm sure you and all the rest will agree. We'll have a massive "AHA" moment and all vote for my candidate ... now to get back to drafting my post on why those who want to RE must vote my way.

Author: dgthepiper Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21528 of 734695
Subject: Re: (sigh) It must be an election year... Date: 10/11/2000 8:33 PM
The biggest obstacle to acheiving ER is the government.

The second biggest is health care.

After these we are left with things we can all more easily control ourselves.

I think these political discussions are actually on topic.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement