UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: nyakki One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1948  
Subject: Sign Language Makes Daddy Happy Date: 12/20/2001 10:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
Greetings from Japan,

For those of you who know, I've been worried about Neil's late speech development (he's 3 and very behind the other kids speaking wise)...

He's coming along OK (slowly but OK) but he gets very frustrated.

Last month my wife saw a special about how some parents are teaching their kids sign language who don't have hearing problems.

I decided to learn some basic sign language and teach Neil (we're also teaching Erika, our 1 year old).

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!

With his signing in hand he pushes himself to learn more and sometimes speaks when he does so...

Here's a before/after example.

BEFORE: 'Daddy - car' pointing to the drivers seat

This could be translated the obvious way: "Daddy please drive the car" BUT it could also be

"Daddy, this car is too small and I want you to buy a bigger one because in the future I will have many friends"

-or-

"Daddy, please don't drive the car because last time you almost hit a dog"

-or-

"Daddy, the driver's car seat is dirty, please clean it."

As you can see, it could mean several hundered different things and we had to make a 'logical' guess as to what he was trying to say...

NOW: Daddy - "sign for driving and sometimes saying DRIVE" - car

Cool...

And the side benefit... Erika is SIGNING TOO!!!!!

She's got several signs down: DRINK (she's thirsty) - MORE - EAT (she's hungry) - UP (pick me up) - DOWN (put me down) - WANT (which means she wants whatever she's pointing at) and a few more...

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY DADDY HERE

Another side bonus: I'm learning sign language... always wanted to but never gave myself the time.

nyakki
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Future, or What's Left of It
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement