Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I joined a new company in October 1998. I was paid a sign on bonus of $7k.

However, the job wasn't a good fit. I quit the job in February 1999. I paid the company the sign on bonus back, per our contract.

It looks like I must report the 7k as income on the 1998 tax return. But what about the repayment? Do I get some kind of credit or deduction for it on the 1999 tax return?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.