Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I recently graduated from college and started a new job in NYC. When I signed my contract, I got a signing bonus for $5K. I received this check and cashed it in May, at which time I was living and working in CT. I moved to NYC later last year, and paid tax on all the income I received for working in NY. However, I'd like to claim my bonus in CT, because of the lower state tax rate I'll pay on income earned in CT. Is this reasonable? I know that money earned in NY must have tax paid in NY, but what about money earned for not doing any work, like a signing bonus? Any advice? This question is about state tax, as I think I have the federal issue worked out fine.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.