UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: beejaywi1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 12218  
Subject: Signs of a blocked bladder in a Cat Date: 12/10/2008 11:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
I had meant to post this two months ago; at any rate, it's going into the FAQs for this board.

Signs of a Blocked Bladder in a Cat
This usually happens with neutered male cats, approaching middle age. In Orlando's case, he won't be 2 years old until January.

* Decreased urine production.
Pay attention to your cat's litter habits. If you only have one, note what's there when you scoop. He should be voiding his bladder regularly. If what you find is smaller than usual, or nonexistent, get worried.

* Frequent visits to the litterbox
If he's going in and out of the litterbox, start watching. Wait till he's done and about to scratch, and see what he's put out. A regular amount? Good - but keep an eye on him. Not so much - think about phoning your vet.

* Vocalizations
If he's crying when he goes into the litterbox, he's in discomfort. Phone your vet.

* Inappropriate urination
I they are having trouble with blockage, they will often squat and try to void their bladders. This is a classic sign.

(Note: blockage is most often caused by the buildup of crystals in the urine. These irritate the lining, attract protein molecules that surround them, and cause the blockage)

* Lethargy

* Guarding - by this I mean that he is standing hunched, as though his abdomen is hurting him. In point of fact, it is.

Don't grope around his abdomen - if he's blocked, you can rupture the bladder, which can be pretty dire.

In my case, I had a cat that nearly died and I won't forget the sypmtoms. If you flip your cat over (gently) and look at the urethral opening, you may see a couple things that cause extreme concern.

* The p*nis may be exposed, and you may see tome yellowish discharge. This is (IMHO) a sign that he's blocked. The yellowish discharge, which resembles the albumen or white of an egg, is the blockage itself.

When in doubt, call the vet and then go over. A blockage is very, very dangerous. If the cat doesn't have treatment immediately, he will die within about 12 hours.

This is just a quick, dirty guideline. When in doubt, call your vet.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement