No. of Recommendations: 2
Back in the late 1980's I remember witnessing Motorola executives repeatedly leaving an important strategy meeting because of mobile phone calls. During the half-day meeting some of the board was out of the room more than they were in and none of them were present for all of the presentations. I thought to myself that I wasn't sure that these new cellular phones were really going to be a tool that helped productivity. Over the years I've watched as more and more people seem to have lost the ability to focus on their present surroundings because of the constant demands and distractions from their mobile devices. Now, it turns out that many are becoming addicted to these things.

Someone needs to show them the "off" button.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/01/business/some-companies-se...

Now, some companies are adopting policies aimed at weaning employees from their electronic devices.
. . .
Atos, an international information technology company, plans to phase out all e-mails among employees by the end of 2013 and rely instead on other forms of communication. And starting in the new year, employees at Daimler, the German automaker, can have incoming e-mail automatically deleted during vacations so they do not return to a flooded in-box.

Professor Perlow agreed that companies could improve their bottom line by encouraging employees to disconnect at times. “Being constantly on actually undermines productivity,” she said.

“I don’t use the metaphor of addiction,” said Ms. Turkle, who is also a psychologist. “We’re not going to give it up. We shouldn’t give it up. It’s more like food, and being on a digital diet. The questions we should ask are, ‘What are the healthy choices?’ ”
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement