UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: JeanDavid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190819  
Subject: Re: I do not really need help with a stupid comp Date: 11/7/2012 4:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Silly question, but why use 10k SCSI drives?

I designed that machine in late 2003 and finished building it in early 2004. I first booted it in early March. At the time I built it, I was doing some heavy database stuff (using postgreSQL) and I knew that kind of thing was IO limited. So I wanted a lot of spindles to minimize seeking. I also wanted very fast data transfers and short seek times. I also wanted to be able to seek and do IO on multiple drives at the same time. In those days, EIDE and SCSI were the options, and EIDE drives just could not manage it. Were I doing that today, I would use a combination of SAS drives and one SSD drive (if you can call those things drives). But since I am not doing that work anymore, I will be scrapping the 4 small SCSI drives. Anyhow, 4 of these drives (smallones: 20 GBytes) were dedicated to the database, and 2 of them (larger ones: 76 GBytes) were used for the rest of the system. The motherboard supported two Ultra/320 LVD SCSI controllers to increase parallel processing ability. The motherboard had two Intel Xeon 3.06 GHz hyperthreaded processors that acted as 4 separate processors as far as the OS was concerned. There were 8 GBytes of RAM so a lot of the data remained in RAM instead of being retrived from disk -- when possible.

As far as the new machine is concerned, those SCSI drives are perfectly good, and it may be easier to backup my data onto the new machine by just putting those SCSI drives. And they are highly reliable, so I might as well keep them in there. The new machine will also have a new SATA hard drive in there. I will need the SCSI adapter to drive the two SCSI drives and also my VXA-2 tape drive where my backups are.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement