Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I tried looking at the IRS 1040 instructions on the web site where I know the answer to this question would be found, but it's oddly not available for download at the moment.

I have a newborn as of 12/21/2001. Do I need to wait for her SSN to file? If not, what do I enter for her SSN?

Thanks,

malakito
Print the post Back To Top
Applied for

ataxwitch
ataxwitch,

Thanks.

malakito
No. of Recommendations: 1
ataxwitch: Applied for

This is wrong. It says quite clearly in the instructions for form 1040, and in Pub 17, that you must supply SSN for any claimed dependent, and that if you don't, the exemption may be disallowed. It says further that if you won't have SSN by April 15, you should apply for a four-month extension. It also says that it generally takes about 2 weeks to get SSN, so you have plenty of time...
Sorry, you are correct. The correct solution is to file for an automatic extension (don't forget to pay the tax), and apply for the SSN. If by some freak of chance you do not have the number by October 15, the last possible extension date, I would put "Applied for" on the return. You may get some hate mail from the IRS but you will be able to sort it out with the paperwork the SSA will provide. I apologize. This was not the law when I last looked at this question (When my son was born children were required to have SSN's by age 2.) That'll teach me to shoot off my mouth er... keyboard.

BTW, so I don't insert my keyboard further into my mouth: The extension you apply for on April 15 expires August 15. If you cannot file by August 15th you must request a 2nd extension until October 15.
We just had our first son Nov 2000 and I swear that I could have used applied for for a < 1 year old last year. I was surprised that they changed that. I would think it would cause them more work.

Stephanie
Here's what the IRS says:

My daughter was born at the end of the year. We are still waiting for a social security number. Can I send in my return and later supply the social security number for her?
If you file your return claiming your daughter as a dependent and do not provide her social security number on the return, the dependent exemption will be disallowed. You could file your income tax return without claiming your daughter as a dependent. After you receive her social security number, you could then amend your return on Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. You have three years from the later of the due date of the return or from the date the return was filed to amend the return.

The other option is to file a Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. This would give you an additional four months to file your return; by then you should have your daughter's social security number.

References:
Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
Tax Topic 354, Dependents

http://www.irs.gov/tax_edu/faq/faq2-3.html
It also says that it generally takes about 2 weeks to get SSN, so you have plenty of time...

The IRS is perhaps overly confident in Social Security's turnaround. My un-tax savy daughter was born 1/1/02, and we are still waiting for an SSN.
All,

Thanks again to all. I do seem to recall being able to put down "applied for" but that they changed the laws a few years ago requiring the SSN. I think it was to crack down on people claiming their dogs as dependents and so forth.

I will wait for the SSN for my child before filing. The hospital applies for it for us automatically, and I'm expecting to owe a little bit on both federal and state, so there's no real hurry.

malakito.
Advertisement