Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: yellowrs Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121105  
Subject: Simple IRA Date: 2/28/2000 11:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm a slave at a large corporation, having a 401(k) at work, and a modest pension plan for my old age.

As a complete fool, I have salted away $2000 per year in a IRA account and then I rolled them all to a ROTH IRA last year. Ouch! I still have to pay taxes on these capital gain for three more years. And it is so nice, that the IRS sent me a reminder right before Christmas. What a cheerful gift.

Being a slave, I always work and work. So beside my main job, I also have a small business on the side, sole proprietorship, earning anout 16 to 20 grants a year. There is no other employee, just myself. My Big Questions are:

1. Can I set up a Simple IRA from this part time business? As long as the business reports net income for the year?

2. Should I incorporate this business as a Limited Libilities Corporation for tax and liabilities purpopse?

Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30347 of 121105
Subject: Re: Simple IRA Date: 2/28/2000 5:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<I'm a slave at a large corporation, having a 401(k) at work, and a modest pension plan for my old age.>>

It could be worse, I guess...

<<As a complete fool, I have salted away $2000 per year in a IRA account and then I rolled them all to a ROTH IRA last year. Ouch! I still have to pay taxes on these capital gain for three more years. And it is so nice, that the IRS sent me a reminder right before Christmas. What a cheerful gift.>>

Nobody forced you to make the conversion, eh? Please don't claim victim status here.

<<Being a slave, I always work and work. So beside my main job, I also have a small business on the side, sole proprietorship, earning anout 16 to 20 grants a year. There is no other employee, just myself. My Big Questions are:

1. Can I set up a Simple IRA from this part time business? As long as the business reports net income for the year?>>

For 2000? Yes. For 1999 no. Too late. But you can establish a SEP plan for your business for 1999.

<<2. Should I incorporate this business as a Limited Libilities Corporation for tax and liabilities purpopse?>>

That's simply impossible to say without knowing much more about your issues and situation. What do you think that a corporation or LLC will give you that you don't already have in your Schedule C business? For these types of decisions, it is very likely that you'll need the help of a qualified tax or financial pro.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement