No. of Recommendations: 0
Since I can't open one more IRA for year 2000 ,can I convert my existing Traditional IRA to Roth IRA and trade the stocks and never pay the taxes.

You can convert any portion of a traditional IRA to Roth in any year in which your AGI is under $100,000.

You have another option with respect to the year 2000 contribution, and it's one you should use if the account has gained value. You "recharacterize" the year 2000 contribution (and the earnings on it) as a Roth IRA contribution. Your IRA custodian should have a simple form for this.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.