UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10535  
Subject: Re: New sub Date: 9/30/2012 12:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Since I had the house to myself – Elly went shopping – I got to work on integrating the new sub with the room and the system. The objective was to integrate two subs: the new Velodyne Optimum-10 replacing the older PSB Subsonic 111 and with a second Velodyne already in place. The reasons for chosing ten-inch subs is because I feel that the next option – a 12-inch – isn’t needed in a 3,000 cu. ft listening room.

I first turned the amps down to it’s lowest volume thus keeping the subs live but not receiving anything and ran the sever-level parametric test (using the included mic). That done I turned up the sound and ran Yamaha’s YPAO sound check and learned thje new sub waas sset too low so I increased the YPAO setting and the sub’s internal volume control. Ran YPAO a second time and the new sub was in range. I set both subs to cross at 80 Hz.—all mains set the same.

I then ran some test discs with strong bass and found all this resulted in a weak bass: so I advanced the volume coming off the amp and that corrected it. If you are setting up a sub make sure it’s getting a strong enough feed off the amp – some subs, especially Velodyne, need a strong input to work best.

The older (must be more than ten years ago I got it) PSB Subsonic 111 was more designed as a bass extension in a 2.1 stereo system and, while it did have inputs directly connecting a line-out from an amp, LF signals seemed confused. I noticed this when I put the first-purchased Velodyne in combination with it and the Velodyne gave a cleaner LF than the Subsonic 111. For a while I had the Subsonic turned off because the single Velodyne covered bass and LF better. The reason I got the new Velodyne was I wanted stereo bass figuring since I could separate the amp’s LF into stereo I would get a better distributed bass.

That I believe I have. While subs are supposedly non-directional, I have found toeing them to the seating area does make a difference. I plan on finessing that later. I am not so sure placing a sub in a corner is preferable: mine stand about four feet from the nearest wall and I don’t get that boomy sound I used to get when the subs were placed closer to the room’s corners.

Now the system is mostly (I am sure I will tweak) now its media content testing time. This part I really like. Elly not so much because I play snippets and she get caught in content wondering why I am not. Therefore when I do this sort of thing I say, “Go shopping. You did say you were looking at blouses,” and off she goes.

I figure the cost of the amp is it’s price plus several blouses, at least a sweater or two, and a ‘pair of shoes I had to get’.

MichaelR
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement