UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 461073  
Subject: Re: Declaration of war.... Date: 9/25/2012 8:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Since I know Canada is not a low labor cost place, and that pine grows faster where it's warmer,(perhaps resulting in more wood but of a lower quality) and that transportation isn't free I'm unable to understand why it's imported. Unless Canadian taxpayers are giving their producers a subsidy.


mauser

Actually it is none of the above. Canada has vast forests on government owned land while most (?) US lumber comes from private land. In order to harvest trees on government land a company must pay a stumpage fee as well as paying a tree planting company to plant two trees for every one they harvest (this may be out of date as I used to spend a week every year planting trees for our local pulp mill).

I would not understate the quality issue either as throwing out lumber because it doesn't meet the standard adds up quickly (or so I've been told).

Finally I don't think there is a significant difference between wages for lumberjacks and mill workers in our two countries but clearly I could be out of date on this as well.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8508402_salary-lumberjack.html

The 6,260 lumberjacks employed in the U.S. earned a mean annual wage of $38,660 as of May 2010, according to the bureau's Occupational Employment Statistics survey. The mean hourly wage was $18.59.



http://www.treecanada.ca/site/?page=publication_download_can...

Canada's Forests

Home to 10% of the world's forests, covering nearly ½ of the Canadian landscape (the 2nd largest country in the world) and home to 2/3 of Canada 's wildlife, ...

...

Who Takes Care of Canada 's Forests?
94% of Canada 's forests are publicly owned. The other 6% is privately owned by more than 425,000 private landowners. Of that public forest, the federal government owns 23% and the provincial government owns 71%.




http://www.epa.gov/agriculture/forestry.html

Timberlands
Two-thirds of U.S. forest lands, or almost 490 million acres, are classified as timberlands. Timberlands are defined as forest lands used for the production of commercial wood products. Commercial timberland can be used for repeated growing and harvesting of trees. Seventy percent of U.S. timberland is located in the East.


Of the 490 million acres of timberland, Federal, State, and local governments own 131 million acres (27 percent) and non-industrial private entities own 288 million acres (59 percent). Private timberlands are mostly on small tracts of forest land. Only 600,000 landowners have holdings larger than 100 acres. The forest products industry owns about 70 million acres (14 percent) of commercial timberland. One-third of the nation’s annual timber harvest is from these forests.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement