UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 3muttsmom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75833  
Subject: Re: Cash Balance Plan Q Date: 7/25/2004 12:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Since it appears to me that you rather firmly believe the annuity is the way for you to go, I'm certainly not going to try and change your mind. Rather, I will attempt to help you ask the questions that get you clear about what these Retirement counselors are telling you.

I would ask them at what age are they assuming the annuity payments start? I would ask them if the annuity ends when you die or continues for the life of your spouse? Is there a minimum period over which the annuity will be paid? This question is to cover the ghastly possibility that you retire and die shortly thereafter. I mean, this is 175K of your money we're talking about here, be a shame for your family to only get a few payments in that scenario, and then, poof!, it all stops.

Thanks, PosCF.

Actually, I don't firmly believe anything - that's why I'm asking here. I'm not dealing with counselors - just an online calculator on our retirement site. The numbers I put in were a 7% return on monthly deposits made by the company for the next 14 years, age 58 - yielding the $175K starting sum. Seems like the 4% return after retirement you used to result in $1175 wouldn't be impossible to get. I also asked one of the guys at work who used to set up and manage retirement plans about it and he said that he suspects the calculator is using an estimate for a fixed rate annuity and he doesn't think anyone is selling these anymore. He said with a variable rate one, the payment stream could fluctuate.

I'm trying to estimate if I can retire in 14 years. I know what my expenses with and without the house payment will be approximately, so just trying to figure out the best way to get there from here.

thanks
3MM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement