UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MrBulsara Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 346  
Subject: Re: Good! Date: 11/5/1999 6:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Since my ill-advised purchase of Excite@Home (A.T.&T.'s coaxial internet service provider) I have developed a strong aversion to the CATV industry including A.T.&T.'s plans to be a national "last mile" provider of CATV, telephony, and broadband internet service. I must preface this by admitting that I am a Southwestern Bell cable splicer involved in SBC's plan to expand its ADSL service (the telephone industry's broadband service) to as many customers as possible, so you may take my biased opinion with a grain of salt as my continued future employment may be affected by the success of SBC over A.T.&T.

That being said, I am also an investor looking to make money anywhere I can which led me to invest in @Home. I am now looking to divest my @Home and will not venture into any cable stocks again. I work with several men that left Comcast Cable to work for SBC, and we have discussed this topic at length leading me to the conclusion that the CATV industry will not win against the telephone industry (whether it be SBC, Bell Atlantic, Southern Bell, or U.S West). I have several reasons to believe this, but it will be several years before we will know if I am right. Were I to have an opposite opinion I would gladly buy all the cable stock I could afford but I just don't believe the cable guys are the way to go.

My goal in looking for a stock to buy is to find one that I will never have to sell in order to avoid capital gains taxes letting the entire investment compound year after year. You mentioned that you had an interest in Acxiom as a potential rolling stock leading me to believe that you have shorter investment horizons in mind that do I. If this is the case then you may very well look into Cablevision in hopes of cashing in on a takeover by A.T.&T., but if you are interested in it as a long term hold (more than 5 years) I don't recomend it or any cable stock. Then again...what do I know. If I was such a precient investment guru I wouldn't be sweating my buttocks off climbing telephone poles all summer.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement