No. of Recommendations: 2
Since we both like to drive and the time that we do have, we will drive as far or as little as we like, we definitely want to see other states too.

Now we can do some planning. If you are in Billings, there are many things to see within a short driving distance. Billings in itself is quite interesting:

One is Pompey's Piller, west of Billings, You don't want to miss this. This was one of the stops of Lewis & Clark on their initial journey, you can see Clark's engraving in the rock and the while the climb to the top is long, the view is well worth it.

Also Custer's Last Stand. The feeling of history alone is worth the trip. They often have guides that will tell you the stories but they also have tapes that you can play in your car as you drive along and stop at the various points, telling you exactly what happened. The first time I went there as I looked out over the battlefield I got such a feeling of the past, it just washed over me and when you read the markers and learn about each part of the battle it's a very moving experience.

Lewis & Clark Caverns is a must see between Bozeman and Whitehall. Unless you don't like caves and such. But if you do, the caverns are an amazing site and you can see all the bats hanging in the big outer areas as you are entering the caves. But no worries, in the 5 or 6 times I have been there, I only had one close encounter with a bat. Here is a link telling you more about that

Yellowstone National Park. Plan on at least 2 or 3 days here. YOu can't see it in one day. We rented a cabin by one of the lakes for our honeymoon and spent 2 days there and still didn't see everything we wanted. If you can go through the Beartooth Pass route to enter the park. You go through Laurel, take a left and through Red Lodge. It's said to be the most beautiful entrance into the park. Here is a link to Yellowstone: Between the wildlife, the waterfalls, the geysers and the springs and mud pits it is really amazing. And you can probably still see effects from the 1988 fire that really did a number on the park. When we were there it just amazed me to see patches of green in the middle of burnt out hills and valleys and when you asked about it the park rangers would tell you how the fire would rage through the area but when it was done certain areas were untouched. Natures way of saving something to reseed and get the area going again. When you come out of Yellowstone, you can come out into Cody, Wyoming.

The American Plains Indian Museum, the Buffalo Bill Museum and the Winchester Arms Museum in Cody are all in one building and well worth the trip. We spent several hours in there. The exhibits are entertaining, informative and really well done.

I would be remiss if I didn't put a plug in for my own hometown of Butte. There is a rich history and many things to see right in Butte itself. The Art Chateau, built by W.A. Clark for his son as a wedding gift. Now an Art Gallery. The Copper King Mansion, where I used to be a tour guide. They still have tours but it is also a Bed and Breakfast and it would be a great place to stay if they have an opening. The Mining Museum with a real "Old fashioned" town and many displays on the mining and cultural history of Butte. If you can, take a ride on "Old Number One" the revamped street car and you can hit quite a few sites in a short time.

About 30 miles south west of Butte is a little tiny town called Melrose, where my sister lives. There is a camping area there that is very relaxing and quiet just outside of Melrose but for the life of me I can't think of the name of it. Terry and I have stayed there before and a quick search turned up nothing. I'll check with my sister on the name. THere is a bar and restuarant there but no TVs or phones in the rooms. It's used mainly as a hunting area during the season but it's really nice and quite reasonable.

Utahtea mentioned Glacier National park. I have only been in one little corner of the park and it was beautiful. You can go up through Kalispell and be sure to stop at Flathead Lake on your way. This is a wonderful lake, so clear and inviting. They have boats that you can take out, ferries if you will, for a day cruise or an hour. If you like horseback riding and such here is a "Dude" ranch in that area that you can stay at and have a lot of fun.

I have to go walk in the "Race for The Cure" now, but will post more later as I think of it.

Sure you don't have room in a trunk for me?

Print the post  

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.