No. of Recommendations: 0
Since you have a 401k plan available to you whether you participate or not you are not allowed to claim a tax deduction for contributions to a traditional IRA.
I do not recall reading the Money article you made reference to, but, it sounds as if they were addressing the tax efficiency of various investments. The most tax inefficient investments are best held in a tax deferred account. These would be most bonds and bond funds and REITs. However, almost any investment is suitable in a tax advantaged account.
The most tax efficient investments are better held in taxable accounts. This would include growth stocks, index funds, and many managed equity funds.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.