Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Since you income is irregular, it is likely that changing your W-4 would have little effect. Most withholding is done based on estimating that your annual income is a multiple of the current payperiod. Irregular large commission checks make it appear that you are in the highest tax bracket when it is not true.

If you are paying underwithholding penalty to California, you can increase you state withholding by filing a DE-4.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.