No. of Recommendations: 5
Since your wife no longer has earned income, she can no longer participate in the Roth.

That would be incorrect. From page 58 of Publication 590:

Can you contribute to a Roth IRA for your spouse?
You can contribute to a Roth IRA for your spouse provided the contributions satisfy the spousal IRA limit discussed in chapter 1 under How Much Can Be Contributed, you file jointly, and your modified AGI is less than $160,000.

The modified AGI listed above is for 2006. It increased to $166,000 for 2007.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.