No. of Recommendations: 0
Since you're over 70, and I'll presume 70 1/2, you have to take a required minimum distribution from your regular IRA. That will be taxed as ordinary income but there's no way around it. If you still need additional cash, you have a couple options. Withdrawals from your Roth are not taxed. If you have capital gains in your taxable investments, they're taxed at a lower rate. If you have some capital losses in your regular investments, they would offset part of the capital gains. If the capital losses exceed the capital gains, you could use up to $3000 to offset ordinary income, and the tax on it.

You'll have to look at various combinations and see which produces the lowest tax. It takes some time but really isn't too complicated. Just start with a few arbitrary combinations and work through the numbers. After 3 or 4 scenarios you should have a pretty good idea what will work best for your situation. Then you can refine the plan as much as you want. Just don't fail to take the required minimum withdrawal from your IRA. That would be really costly.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.