Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (80) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jimicarlos100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 401  
Subject: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/3/2006 7:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I bought a souvenir bottle of Glenlivet Single Malt Scotch to sample . It was the only brand available in such a small bottle . Anyone have a favorite ?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/4/2006 4:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!

Glenlivet, Glenmorangie.

http://www.maltwhiskey.com/default3.htm

http://www.whiskeyshopusa.com/ (temporarily down)

Author: jimicarlos100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/5/2006 2:36 AM
Neat site ! I've always heard that the Speyside area is good . Since winter will be coming soon , I think I'll be buying more of the hard stuff - but only the best ...lol

Author: Bonhoeffer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/5/2006 8:37 AM
Recommendations: 1
Since winter will be coming soon, I think I'll be buying more of the hard stuff - but only the best.

That's not a statement at which one would normally "laugh out loud."

Author: jimicarlos100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/5/2006 8:58 AM
<<<<<<< That's not a statement at which one would normally "laugh out loud." >>>>>>>

True . Sorry for poor selection of words - and/or for being whimsical .
I like a few good nips of quality drinks . A 750 ml bottle would last me a month or more .

Author: kaizenIT Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/5/2006 10:21 AM
Anyone have a favorite?

I'm partial to Glenfiddich and Delmore myself. Kind of new to the whole single malt experience but I'm learning the ropes... :)

kIT

Author: jimicarlos100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/5/2006 10:42 AM
I've only sampled the Glenlivet . I'll have the Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie on my radar for later .

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/5/2006 4:32 PM
The second link that I posted above is a scotch store in San Francisco that we stumbled into by chance in July. It's the biggest scotch selection in the US. Yes, they ship.

Glenmorangie has a ten-year old version that's easiest to find. According to the first link I posted above, it's the most popular scotch in Scotland. My experience is limited, but I think it's worth a taste.

Author: Fuzzy7466 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/7/2006 12:30 AM
I'm partial to Cragganmore but I have to say i'm biased because I own shares of Diageo.

fuzzy

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/7/2006 3:43 AM
Cragganmore is released in the US in only one expression, a 12-year-old. The old gold color leads to a wonderful nose with complex elements of cut grass, peat, smoke, spices, and herbs. The palate is creamy smooth with notes of spice, smoke, flowers, and a touch of salt.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/7/2006 3:47 AM
Glenmorangie:
The 10-year-old (43 vol.) is a light gold with yellowy highlights. The nose has a slight spiciness mixed with a flowery sweetness and light toasty notes. The palate has a delicious combination of sweet malty/flowery notes mixed with a slight spiciness and a creamy, buttery flavor. The finish is spicy, slightly salty, and has a lingering creaminess. 79

Recently a 15-year-old (43 vol.) has been added to the Glenmorangie line. Instead of finishing this release in wine casks, a different approach has been taken and the whisky in finished in new American oak barrels (rather than the traditional use oak barrels that have previously held bourbon). It has a more golden color than the 10-year-old, with bright orange highlights. The nose has an immediate oaky presence, seeming much older than its 15 years. There's a dry, dusty quality to the nose, along with hints of salt air and a bit of smoke. The palate is malty sweet, with notes of vanilla and cream as it transforms to a toasty dryness. The finish is long, dry, with notes of oak, spices, and salt. A delicious malt. 83

The 18-year-old bottling (43 vol.) has a slightly darker, fuller gold color with reddish amber highlights. The nose is aromatic, with sherry notes (the release is finished in sherry casks), mixed with oaky, nutty notes. The palate has a creamy, buttery richness balanced by a complex spiciness. The finish is spicy, nutty, a little oaky, and hints of salt. 82

Wood Finishes: Over the past several years Glenmorangie has added a selection of 12-year-olds that have been finished in Sherry, Madeira, and Port wood casks. All are very enjoyable, but I highly recommend the Port Wood Finish. It is quite subtle, but the port adds an amazing smoothness to the whisky. It's a quiet, contemplative dram, perfect for winter evenings by the fire. 84

Glenlivet:
For many The Glenlivet was an early, if not the first, encounter with a single malt whisky. Unwittingly, it has become the standard of comparison by which we tend to measure other malts. It isn't a bad standard to hold to.

The 12-year-old (40 vol.), light gold, has a light, flowery nose with a slight spiciness and mild oaky notes. Deceptively simple at first, the palate combines a complex array of floral, nutty, and slightly buttery flavors. The finish is long, in a subtle, soothing manner. Delicious. 87

The 18-year-old (43 vol.), has a noticeably darker, medium amber color. The nose becomes more fruity, pear-like. The palate is much more complex, adding a sherry sweetness to the floral notes. The nutty, buttery notes become more focused, more fruity. The finish is long, dry, with surprising sharp acidic notes. A very special malt. 92

Pulteney aka Old Pulteney
Distillery Bottlings: A very exquisite 12-year-old bottling is available in the US. The color is amber-gold with a stimulating, spicy nose that hints at sherry, vanilla, oak and salt. The body is slightly thick. The flavor is rich with a raw sugar sweetness, then earthy undertones and pleasant sea salt notes emerge. An unbelievable bargain -- as low as $25.00 in some places. 80

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/7/2006 3:52 AM
Laphroaig's ("lah-froig"), most popular bottling is a 10-year-old (43 vol.), and what a whisky it is -- strong, briny, phenolic, and seaweedy. Lagavulin (above) may be a gentle race horse, but this Laphroaig is the wild bronco that refuses to be broken. You already either love it or hate it, nothing I can say will ever change your opinion.

The color is full gold with orange highlights. The nose is unmistakably medicinal, briny, and smoky. Faintly reminiscent of smoked salmon. The palate is surprisingly soft, with a seaweedy, salty character.. Lightly sweet at first, it turns dry and peppery in the finish. 91

The 15-year-old (43 vol.) is another matter. It's the gentrified older brother of the 10-year-old feral child. The added age knocks off many of the rough edges -- age has a way of doing that with people and whisky. If you love the wildness of the 10-year-old you may not care for this older expression, but it's a special pleasure.

It has a gold color, slightly lighter than the 10-year-old, and a nose full of phenols, iodine, brine, salt spray, smoke, and a hint of mustard. The palate has an initial sweetness and creamy richness (in flavor and texture). Then a quick transition to powerful iodine, sulphur, salt, and a peat smoke nuttiness. The finish is long, with echoing salty, iodine notes, combined with an earthy peatiness. Exceptional. 92

Lagavulin
Distillery Bottlings: The distillery offering is a 16-year-old (43 vol.) -- surprisingly old considering that Laphroaig, (only a few yards down the road), and Ardbeg, (only a few yards up the road), are released in 10-year-old expressions. The extra six years is worth the wait. Lagavulin (lagga-voolin) is big and strong yet soft and refined, like a powerful race horse gently eating an apple from the hand of a baby.

The color is a full amber. The nose has the Islay intensity (salt, peat, iodine, and smoke), but is softened by a measure of sherry. The palate has an intriguing interplay of smoky dryness and sherry sweetness, combined with a richness of intertwined, subtle flavors (grassy notes and salt water taffy in the foreground). The finish is big, dry, and peaty.

One of the great malts. 95

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/7/2006 11:59 AM
Just a few quotes that I happened across at http://www.maltwhiskey.com/default3.htm. I'm sure that, among the dozens of others, there's plenty of goodies to be found. It's a fun site to explore.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/7/2006 12:02 PM

Bon, what are you doing on a non-beer board?

Author: kaizenIT Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/8/2006 9:16 AM
Lagavulin
Distillery Bottlings: The distillery offering is a 16-year-old (43 vol.) -- surprisingly old considering that Laphroaig, (only a few yards down the road), and Ardbeg, (only a few yards up the road), are released in 10-year-old expressions. The extra six years is worth the wait. Lagavulin (lagga-voolin) is big and strong yet soft and refined, like a powerful race horse gently eating an apple from the hand of a baby.

Had the opportunity to try another single malt last night. I looked and saw Lagavulin on the card and asked the barkeep for some. They didn't have the 16 y.o., but they did have it's younger sibling, Caol Ila, a 12 y.o. single malt. I'm still new to this but, my oh my! It's been the best single malt I've ever had the opportunity to drink. Very subtle and amazingly smooth. I highly recommend it.

kIT

Author: jimicarlos100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/8/2006 10:48 AM
Thanks for sharing , kIT ! How did you drink your scotch ? Straight ?
On the rocks ? Cut with water ? Yeah I know, I can't imagine cutting with water . However , after browsing some of the links that FeedMeNowHuman shared , some of the Scotches are said to be quite strong - thus cutting with water is recommended by them .

Author: kaizenIT Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/8/2006 3:35 PM
How did you drink your scotch? Straight? On the rocks? Cut with water? - jimicarlos

Rocks is my preference. I could probably drink it shaken but I don't think it's too commonplace.

kIT

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/9/2006 2:39 AM
OK, at the big cotch store in San Francisco,

http://www.whiskeyshopusa.com/ (the site is now working!)

Here's a view of the scotch selection,

http://i1.tinypic.com/3ynnjew.jpg

and then I turned around 180° and took a shot in the other direction.

http://i1.tinypic.com/3ycklya.jpg

The guy behind the counter was wearing a kilt. Anyway, the site is well worth browsing, I think. Heck, they even ship to Alabama.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/9/2006 3:13 AM
Pulteney aka Old Pulteney
Distillery Bottlings: A very exquisite 12-year-old bottling is available in the US. The color is amber-gold with a stimulating, spicy nose that hints at sherry, vanilla, oak and salt. The body is slightly thick. The flavor is rich with a raw sugar sweetness, then earthy undertones and pleasant sea salt notes emerge. An unbelievable bargain -- as low as $25.00 in some places. 80

Eh. It's interesting they call it "exquisite", but then give it an 80. We passed by the liquor store tonight on the way home from dinner, and somehow the place relieved us of $90 before we escaped. Among the booty was a bottle of Old Pulteney, priced at $37. It's not a bad scotch,, but I found the flavor to be somewhat harsh and not a whole lot of depth or complexity to it. I didn't dislike it, but I didn't find it special, eiher. I followed it with a bit of Glenlivet just to compare, and there's just a lot more going on there for a tad less money. I like the honey floral flavor, but it's not a weak flavor at all.

Another one that you might look into would be Johnnie Walker Green Label. Unlike the other Walker labels that contain grain whiskey, this is a "pure malt" containing a blend of Talisker, Caol Isla, Linkwood,and Craggenmore. It's an intense flavor, but worth a try, I think.

Author: mickaelangelo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/9/2006 11:44 AM
I understand that there was a problem with the 16yo Lagavulin vintage last year, hence the release of the 12 yo.

I have 6 bottles of 16 yo in stock (which I purchased after I heard of the problem but before the price nealry doubled).

I hear that 16yo will be available again next year.

mick

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/9/2006 6:50 PM
I understand that there was a problem with the 16yo Lagavulin vintage last year, hence the release of the 12 yo.

I have 6 bottles of 16 yo in stock (which I purchased after I heard of the problem but before the price nealry doubled).

I hear that 16yo will be available again next year.

It was running about $50 a bottle in my area.

Author: mickaelangelo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/9/2006 7:12 PM
It was mid to hi 30s when I bought it.

Last bottle I saw of 16yo was over 60 bucks.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/10/2006 4:36 PM
I've done a bit more, uh, research, and please allow me to revise the Pulteny review. The first sip hits you with a bit of a wallop, but then the initial harshness (perhaps that's too strong of a word) subsides and leaves you hints of sweetness, saltiness and other flavors. For being priced in the mid 30s, it's a good deal, and in the 20s would be a bargain. I see it's listed as the northernmost distillery, and it seems to be associated with sailors and such. I can see how a sailor on the high seas on a cold night in the fog might want a kick in the pants when he has a swig. Arrrrrr....

Author: Bonhoeffer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/12/2006 3:35 PM
Bon, what are you doing on a non-beer board?

Critiquing others' posting styles.

Author: Bonhoeffer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/12/2006 3:37 PM
Not to mention that whiskey is essentially distilled beer. So it's not total crap.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 33 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/12/2006 3:48 PM

As long as you're making a positive contribution, then.

Author: sazeracked One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/13/2006 1:36 PM
Hello, gents. I am glad to find this board! I just joined the site, and to find a board on whiskey is like an added bonus for joining.

Not that it should matter to anyone, but if you are talking taste, I like Highland Park best of all the single malts I've tried, and I have to say I like it for its complexities. But mostly if I am having a single malt I drink Glenfiddich, and well enough that I know you should say "glen-FID-ik." I suppose I should also add that I'm not purely partial to single malts.

I also plan to do the American Whiskey Trail thing this spring:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Whiskey_Trail

Best to you,

Pres

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/13/2006 5:32 PM
I just joined the site, and to find a board on whiskey is like an added bonus for joining.

There's an extra fee for this board, pal.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/18/2006 12:00 PM
I had a Johnny Walker Black Label last night, just to remember what it tasted like. It was not so hot. Compared to a single malt, it's very weak and two-dimensional and you can tell that it has been cut with something (grain alcohol, actually) to calm it down. The green label, being the only JW product that is a blend of single malts, is well worth your time, but I don't get the popularity of black label.

Author: sazeracked One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/18/2006 2:27 PM
I'll hazard to agree with you, Mr. Human. The Green Label to me is worth your time (I'm not sure if it's worth your money--why not just get Talisker or Craggenmore?), but the Black Label is far too burnt with way too much vanilla, even harshly so, and if you take it straight, you can't really taste much except for how hot it is. Generally I say, if I want that much vanilla, I'll have it with some pecan pie.

And I'd like to give a special mention to Creole Creamery for any Fools in New Orleans for offering some of the best vanilla around.

Best to you,

sazeracked

Author: jimicarlos100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/18/2006 3:38 PM
http://www.newhollandbrew.com/spirits.html

I finally found this link . Mr. Bonhoeffer is right ( post#32 ) .

Anyone try their brandies ?

Author: Bonhoeffer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/18/2006 3:54 PM
Surely you never doubted me?

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/18/2006 5:16 PM
The Green Label to me is worth your time (I'm not sure if it's worth your money--why not just get Talisker or Craggenmore?)

I haven't had Talisker or Craggenmore separately, but I know they are two of the single malts that go into green label, and I plan to check them out shortly.

but the Black Label is far too burnt with way too much vanilla, even harshly so, and if you take it straight, you can't really taste much except for how hot it is.

You've got it. Burnt vanilla is pretty much what it tastes like.

A friend of mine has a bottle of Taliker, and said he wasn't thrilled with it. But he likes Black label, so I'm not sure what to make of his opinion.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 10/9/2006 1:23 AM
The Green Label to me is worth your time (I'm not sure if it's worth your money--why not just get Talisker or Craggenmore?)

I haven't had Talisker or Craggenmore separately, but I know they are two of the single malts that go into green label, and I plan to check them out shortly.

OK, bought a bottle of Cragganmore last week (ouch) and . . . . I'm disappointed with it. It has a gentle and smoky flavor, not at all unpleasant but it didn't impress me as much as I expected. Cragganmore is not what I'd call complex. I bought a bottle of Glengarioch in San Francisco, and it was OK. A little weak-tasting, not bad but not great. Cragganmore is the same, except for a smoky flavor on top. For supposedly one of the higher-rated scotches, I think when this bottle is done that will be it for me. Is this a high quality product? Yes. It just doesn't appeal to me that much. If you like a smoky flavor, you might like this for the winter nights or something, but it really doesn't tickle my pickle.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 88 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 10/23/2006 1:03 PM
OK, I bought a bottle of Glenlivet 18. A friend and his wife are coming over tonight, and he likes Livet, and so I thought the 18 would be fun to try. For, um, quality control purposes, I tried a bit last night, and it was killer. While the 12 is very very good but just a tad light, the 18 is right on the money.

Author: Bonhoeffer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 11/2/2006 4:26 PM
Bought my first bottle of single malt today. Went for a value that my intuition told me would still be a respectable tasting.

Speyburn.

Won't be cracking it open tonight. Perhaps sometime this weekend. I'll let y'all know.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 11/2/2006 6:16 PM
Recommendations: 2
Bon: Bought my first bottle of single malt today. Went for a value that my intuition told me would still be a respectable tasting. Speyburn.

It's all making sense now.

http://www.epinions.com/fddk-review-5BE-2597DB3A-3A3966A5-prod2
Speyburn has the characteristic smoky peat flavor of all single malt Scotches, without being as aggressive as some. This might--dare I say it--be a good woman's Scotch...

Author: Bonhoeffer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 91 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 11/3/2006 8:58 AM
Yes. I took a laptop into the liquor store and searched internet reviews for Scotches until i found one that said it would be good for women.

Yes.

Author: joeyboxadonuts Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 11/3/2006 10:18 AM
That's cool....dorky, but cool.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 11/3/2006 11:08 AM
I think that's Ted Haggard's brand of scotch.

Author: Bonhoeffer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 11/3/2006 11:20 AM
I think that's Ted Haggard's brand of scotch.

Or, as i call him, "Shmoopy."

Author: mickaelangelo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 95 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 11/4/2006 4:16 PM
It's all making sense now.

http://www.epinions.com/fddk-review-5BE-2597DB3A-3A3966A5-prod2
Speyburn has the characteristic smoky peat flavor of all single malt Scotches, without being as aggressive as some. This might--dare I say it--be a good woman's Scotch...

Sometimes the jokes just write themselves...

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 100 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 11/13/2006 11:33 AM

Since the doctor told me no booze until they figure out my tummy troubles, I sold my scotch--the Cragganmore and the Glenlivet 18. It's a cruel cruel cruel cruel world.....

Author: sazeracked One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 11/13/2006 1:16 PM
Since the doctor told me no booze...

You may have to get a new doctor.

Author: Bonhoeffer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 11/13/2006 4:25 PM
Preferably one with a PhD rather than an MD. One who loves Scotch.

Author: jimicarlos100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 103 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 11/14/2006 3:14 AM
Ahh Scotch ... making white men dance since ??? I forget the date ...lol .

Author: sazeracked One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 104 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 11/16/2006 4:02 AM
Ahh Scotch ... making white men dance since ???

Since Nessie was a wee little trout.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 137 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 1/18/2007 12:04 AM
Recently had a sip of Aberlour A'bunadh Cask Strength, and it wasn't up my alley. Cask strength is about 60% alcohol compared to the usual 40-ish. It was so strong it was like drinking gasoline. The alcohol overpowered the flavor, and it really wasn't all that pleasant for me. If you think you're a hard drinking manly man, go for it.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 151 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 2/24/2007 5:03 PM
OK, tried Lagavulin last night. A friend bought a bottle for $70, and it's apparently a big seller these days. It was good--very good, but not one of my favorites. The smokey flavor was similar to Cragganmore, with a complex mix of other flavors in there and it had a lingering herbal medicinal aftertaste. By lingering, I mean you were tasting hints of it ten or fifteen minutes later. That's not a criticism; just an observation. No one flavor was overwhelming. The concensus of several who tried it last night was that it was very good, but pricey and maybe not something you'd put at the top of the list unless you're a big fan of that type of flavor. Apparently plenty of people swear by it, but I'd recommend trying a shot at a bar before investing in a bottle.

Also had a sip of Dalmore a couple of weeks ago, and it was very tasty. A bottle runs $30, which is very reasonable for what you're getting. The dominant flavor was orange/honey, not too far from Glenlivet (which has a flavor of pineapple/honey with splash of orange).

A week ago, someone bought me a quadruple shot of Macallan 18. I had a cold at the time, and my taste buds might not have given me an accurate picture, but I recall it being very similar to the Dalmore. Orange, oak, floral. Very pleasant and straightforward, maybe not what I'd call complex, but very enjoyable. I've read reviews which describe a smokey flavor, but I don't recall too much of that; at least not nearly as much as Cragganmore or Lagavulin.

By the way, I recommend you folks register at the Glenlivet site as a Guardian of the Glenlivet. I just got some cool goodies in the mail, including a tasting notes DVD, an engraved metal membership card, a special key to get me into a secret room at the distillery if I should visit, and a fancy little book with pictures and a centerfold of the 25-year-old. No decoder ring, though.

Author: sazeracked One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 152 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 2/26/2007 11:31 PM
Very nice post. I had some scotch tonight too, more Glenfiddich 12. Today it was a little scotchier than I remembered it. Didn't stop me from finishing it.

But I'm not sure I could say a lot of things about it without that tasting notes DVD. That might really pick up the conversation around here!

I too favor Cragganmore---at least I think you favor it. I like Highland Park, but I don't think I've had any 18 year old scotch except for Macallan.

I used to drink Dewer's about ten years ago, maybe more. Now I sort of sneer at it, but I used to like it a lot. Maybe I don't dislike it as much as I'd like to---it's still very easy to drink.

A week ago, someone bought me a quadruple shot of Macallan 18. I had a cold at the time...

Past tense: Mystery cure, obviously!

Best to you,

Saz

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 2/27/2007 9:49 AM
I had some scotch tonight too, more Glenfiddich 12.

Actually, I had some of that, too. I'd forgotten. I ordered some Glenlivet, and the bartender poured out of the Glenfiddich bottle. She said it was all they had. It didn't thrill me; tasted sort of like watered-down Glenlivet.

<Past tense: Mystery cure, obviously!

Actually, no. I thought I was over it this past weekend, but it came back with a vengeance and now I'm sick as a dog.

Author: sazeracked One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 154 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 2/28/2007 7:44 PM
Now I'm sick as a dog.

Sorry.

I am not ill like that, but I have been about 90 percent well for about three weeks now. There is something going around in these parts that doesn't feel bad but doesn't let go either.

Anyway, it hasn't prevented me from indulging, and scotch has been a usual comfort, even Glenfiddich 12.

Sometimes, though, when ailing, I get too bored with alcohol as a whole to drink it. That almost happened yesterday, in the late morning, just before a lunch appointment; fortunately, just as I was considering temperance for the day, I remembered I had a flask with me, and recharged my taste for things.

Best to you,

Saz

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 3/1/2007 12:31 AM
just as I was considering temperance for the day, I remembered I had a flask with me, and recharged my taste for things.

That was a close one.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 157 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 3/14/2007 1:25 PM
OK, Glenlivet 15 French Oak Reserve. This one is aged in french oak barrels in order to give it a slightly different flavor from the 12 and the 18. At least that's the idea. As far as I could tell, it's right between the 12 and the 18, maybe a tad sweeter, but I wouldn't have known that different wood was used if the label didn't say it. It's a nice compromise in price and flavor between the 12 and the 18, but for my money I'd recommend you spend the extra five bucks and get the 18.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 201 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 5/27/2007 4:04 PM

OK, I bought a bottle of Glenlivet 21 for my 40th b-day, and even though we're a couple weeks out, somehow the cork fell out early and I ended up with a glass of the stuff last night.

The difference between the 12 and the 18 is huge. The difference between the 18 and the 21 is small, but the 21 is a bit more intense and flavorful and a bit more peaty than the 18. By all means, try the 18--it's one of the very best I've tasted, but unless you're getting the 21 for a special occasion, it's not that huge of an upgrade. More like moving from excellent to very excellent. Tasty stuff, though, and I'll be savoring the bottle.

Author: sazeracked One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 202 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 5/29/2007 9:59 PM
Sounds like the tapering off of a logarithmic scale if you ask me...the difference between 1 and 12 is of course immense, between 12 and 18 huge, between 18 and 21 small.

I see a Highland Park 18 behind the bar of my favorite purveyor's; if I win a bid that might be my reward to myself.

And if I don't, it might be the way I console myself.

Best to you, and congratulations on turning forty and best wishes for the decade. The decade years are important.

-saz

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 203 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 5/30/2007 1:37 AM
the difference between 1 and 12 is of course immense

Especially considering that it's not even legal to sell at less than three years old.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 235 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 8/5/2007 9:16 PM
Talisker:

The overwhelming sensation is pepper and smoke. Some fruit in there, and some some herbs, but pepper!

EOM.

Hic.

Author: jimicarlos100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 236 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 8/6/2007 9:02 PM
Talisker ? Hmmm .

The king o' drinks, as I conceive it, Talisker, Islay or Glenlivit..(Robert Louis Stevenson)

Well , I'll have to save up for some .

It has been awhile since I've sipped some Scotch . You've inspired me to finish up my Glenmorangie . I have been slacking .

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 237 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 8/6/2007 10:51 PM
A friend of mine came over last night and we had a little session: Glen Moray, Macallan 12, Glenlivet 21, Talisker. Glen Moray isn't as well known, but it holds up very nicely to a younger Glenlivet or Glenmorangie. Fruity with a wee bit more bite, maybe. Overall, though, we both agreed that the Glenlivet 21 won the prize.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 238 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/5/2007 1:09 AM
Balvenie 12 Doublewood: I'd been hearing about this one from a couple different people, and so I made one of them bring some along to a gig so I could sample it. The circumstances weren't ideal (drinking from the bottle while sitting in his car in the parking lot shortly before playing a wedding reception) but I got the general idea. Imagine Glenlivet 12 with a bit more of a sweet woody flavor, similar to the Glenlivet 15 french oak. Nice fruity sherry flavor, a wee bit of smoke, and again, you can taste the wood--almost like a bit of maple flavoring. Anyway, I think he said he paid $37 for it. For that price, it's a bargain. Definitely worth a try.

Author: sazeracked One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 239 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/5/2007 4:48 PM
...drinking from the bottle while sitting in his car in the parking lot shortly before playing a wedding reception...

Hey, that sounds like my neighborhood.

saz
thanks for the tip

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 303 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 6/2/2008 1:55 AM
Well, I finally tried Johnnie Walker Gold Label, mainly because someone bought me a shot. I took my time with it with dinner, and it's a good scotch but not worth the price for a bottle. It's along the lines of a Glenlivet 18 or Macallan 10 or 12. Fruity, slightly smokey, but not that intense. Middle of the road. For someone who's been drinking JW red or black label, I'm sure it seems like a big step up, what with the fancy gold packaging. But it's no better than a bottle of single malt that you can get for substantially less.

Author: dcarper Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 304 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 6/2/2008 8:33 PM
But it's no better than a bottle of single malt that you can get for substantially less.

Frankly, I think that it is inferior to most single malts that are half the price. For that matter, I don't think it's as good as the Green Label, which is also cheaper (but it is a "vatted malt", as oppossed to a "blended whisky")

I think that JW drinkers are looking for smooth as a main criteria. Those of us who prefer single malts want flavor, which most blends sacrifice in favor of smoothness.

Sadly, I must report that I can no longer afford my favorite single malt, Springbank. It now is about $65/btl, well over my self-imposed limit of $50. Damned exchange rate.

David

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 334 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 11/6/2008 11:59 AM
Had some Macallan cask strength last night, out of a bottle I got someone for their b-day. God golly, it's strong stuff! Tastes like Macallan, but with an extra kick of alcohol--the alcohol flavor actually overwhelms the flavor somewhat and leaves a burn on your lips and mouth. There is no age statement, but the google tells me it's 10 or 12 years. If cask strength is your thing, this should be on your list. There's a new place in town called Total Wine, and this bottle was $39.99 as opposed to the usual $55. I also bought a bottle of Cielo Anejo Tequila for someone else, and it was like $35 as opposed to $60 that you see other places. Total Wine is quite impressive, a huge huge store, bigger than a football field and the lowest prices I've ever seen.

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 336 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 11/8/2008 12:36 AM
Oh!
I informed my husband that we needed to go to San Diego or The Aquarium of the Pacific sometime soon and BTW we needed to stop by "Total Wine".

And he said, "So, what you're saying is you learned about a new liquor store and you're wanting to buy something you can't find locally?"

He's so smart.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 337 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 11/8/2008 12:24 PM
Oh!
I informed my husband that we needed to go to San Diego or The Aquarium of the Pacific sometime soon and BTW we needed to stop by "Total Wine".

And he said, "So, what you're saying is you learned about a new liquor store and you're wanting to buy something you can't find locally?"

Busted.

I know there are a lot of Bevmo's in Cali--were you ever able to find one near Hanna Barbera? The liquor selection is still admirable.

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 338 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 11/9/2008 12:52 PM
I know there are a lot of Bevmo's in Cali--were you ever able to find one near Hanna Barbera?

The closest Bevmo is about an hour south of here in Simi Valley. Last time I took HRH to a museum down that way, I drove right past it but she was already exhausted, traffic was getting nasty and the neighborhood didn't look that great. Had it been only one or two of those conditions I might've gone in. Next time!

Author: shdwgrph Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 339 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 11/9/2008 9:53 PM
Bevmos?
You California folks are so cute. We only have a few chains here in
New England, and for the most part they are to be avoided for their lack of inspiration. But some very competitive local guys have great selections
here in Newburyport. Just now I am knocking back a couple of fingers
Lagavulin at about $60 a bottle. Pricey, but well worth it.
shdwgrph

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 345 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 12/20/2008 6:05 PM
Had the chance to try a few more in the past 24 hours. At an Xmas party last night, someone had a couple samplers of Glenrothes Reserve. Very nice. Similar to Glenlivet 12, in it had a healthy fruity flavor but with a touch more smoke than Glenlivet. Maybe a bit sweeter than Glenlivet? Hard to put into words, but there was a difference. More orange than pineapple? That's not a criticism-- I'd recommend trying it.

Then someone had a bottle of Highland Park 18. This was a richer flavor, sort of like an older Glenlivet but with a moderately strong dose of smoke and pepper. Not as heavy as Cragganmore, but a healthy dose more than Glenlivet.

Then someone gave me a bottle of Highland Park 12, which I'm having right now! This is closer to the Glenrothes, and I'm having a hard time remembering enough to tell you the difference. While Highland 12 has a slighlty lighter fruit component than the Glenrothes, it has a stronger smoke flavor. I don't detect as much of the peppery flavor in the HP 12 as with the HP 18. But the 12 is a worthy beverage.

They are all highly drinkable, and they don't have the medicinal flavor of Lagavulin, or the extreme peppery flavor of Talisker. If you're a fan of scotches in the vein of Glenlivet/Glenmorangie/Macallan, I'd say you should look into Glenrothes and Highland Park, too.

And to think I almost blew off the party.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 352 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 5/10/2009 7:56 PM
Someone gave me a bottle of Singleton. It's along the lines of Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, and Glengarioch, except not quite as good. Pleasant, not all that smokey, but not that intense of a flavor.

Highland Park 12 is really the big discovery of late. I think it may have displaced Glenlivet 18 as my favorite. Not sure though. More research needed.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 372 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 2/28/2010 11:35 PM
Well, I splurged and spent a C-note on a bottle of Highland Park 18. It was one of the most highly rated in the big Michael Jackson (booze critic, not singer) book. I recently finished a bottle of the HP 12, and to be honest, I can't tell much difference between the two. An outstanding scotch, maybe the best I've had, but the price difference between the 12 and the 18 isn't justified by the flavor.

By comparison, the difference between Glenlivet 12 and 18 is huge. From Glenlivet 18 to 21, the price more than doubles, but the taste doesn't change much. So far, for your money, I'd say Glenlivet 18 and Highland Park 12 are your best bang for your buck.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 374 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 11/10/2010 6:30 PM
After having just finished that bottle of HP 18, I bought a bottle of HP 12. The differences are that the 12 is a bit sharper and brash and less focused, and the 18 is more 'mature' and reigned-in. The difference is there, but it's not worth doubling the price for the 18.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 383 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 2/29/2012 10:53 AM
Had a shot of Oban 14 the other night. The peat factor was about a 6 on a 1-to-10 scale, pretty big. At first I thought I had a new favorite, but after awhile, my palate started to get tired of it and by the end I was a bit "eh". If you like the peat, this is damn good stuff, but it was just a little much for me.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 394 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 4/10/2012 1:14 AM
Picked up a bottle of Dalmore 12 and a bottle of Grangestone 12, the latter just an experiment since I'm donating a bottle to a party next month and it was like $22 for the 750ml.

Dalmore I'd had a sip of before and wanted to try a bottle of it. Mostly orangy/caramely/nutmeggy and a wee bit of peat, with just a hint of something in there that's a bit medicinal and briney, and doesn't quite fit when you drink it neat. For the second glass I put an icecube in there and I think it goes better that way.

The Grangestone was OK, but nothing special. Sort of like Glenlivet but a bit thinner on flavor with a brash burning finish.

Author: czbill12 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 395 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 8/17/2012 12:34 PM
Hey, just saw this board...normally on the wino board, but have been lucky to taste some single malts the last few yrs.
Favs: Glenfiddich 18, Macallan Cask Strength, 18 & 35 (Agreed, 20, 25 not worth the $$), JW green, gold, blue (side by side...that was cool), Laprhoaig 10 and cask strength (agree completely with the posts here on that one). I was a bit surprised of the peaty-ness of the Johnnie Walkers after tasting higher-end Macallan, but I'm getting more into the peat lately.

Thanks for all the reqs on the other malts...will have to hunt them down.
Also, I prefer to throw one or 2 cubes in my scotch to get full effect. The distributors I chat with also say you can truly see the difference in doing that vs. neat. I've tried others, from even flowery to peat monster (Think Talisker), but will have to go back to some tasting notes.
Thx & cheers.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 396 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 1/5/2013 10:13 AM
Had a shot of Oban 14 the other night. The peat factor was about a 6 on a 1-to-10 scale, pretty big. At first I thought I had a new favorite, but after awhile, my palate started to get tired of it and by the end I was a bit "eh". If you like the peat, this is damn good stuff, but it was just a little much for me.

I decided to be a man and bought a bottle of Oban. It's not as intense as I remembered, and on a par with Highland Park 18. HP is a bit more peaty, and Oban is a bit more smoky.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 399 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 7/4/2013 4:03 PM
To answer a post from March, I had some of the Ardbeg 10 a few weeks ago, and it was excellent. Not quite as intense as Laphroaig, but about as close to it as anything I've had. I've also gotten a strong recommendation from a friend for the Ardbeg Uigeadail, though it is pricy.

I bought a bottle of the Laphroaig Triple Wood, and boy is it a manly malt. I was looking for the quarter cask, but they were out and so I grabbed a triple wood instead. Not much difference; they will both fry your palette in a most pleasant way.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 400 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 8/12/2013 1:44 AM
Awright, so if anyone is still reading this thread, here are a few more reviews:

Glenmorangie 10: had some of this in Vegas last month, and now that my palette is more mature, this stuff is disappointing. Just sort of thin-tasting and not much complexity. Like a watered-down Glenlivet. Definitely overpriced for what you get.

At the other end of the spectrum:

Ardbeg Uigeadail: this is a cask strength, very peaty, though just a tad less than Laphroaig.

Ardbeg Corryvreckan: another cask strength, similar to the above, but even more peaty but somehow a bit smoother, with a very slight burnt tar flavor in there. A truly great scotch. Laphroaig's peaty-ness is somewhere between Uigeadail and Corryvreckan. It's a tight squeeze, as the three of them are neck and neck, and it's worth noting that Ardbeg, Lagavulin, and Laphroaig are all located within five miles of each other.

Ardbeg also makes something called Supernova, which sounds way over the top.

Author: snaray Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 401 of 401
Subject: Re: Single Malt Scotch Date: 9/11/2013 10:59 PM
I can't remember the last time I had the Glenmorangie 10 (if ever actually)... disappointing. I do enjoy their lineup of scotches with a variety of of different cask finishes (port, sherry, sauterne) but they're all made from the 12yo.

If you like a strong smokey/peaty scotch, see if you can find Smokehead Extra Black - or the regular Smokehead - I've only tried the Extra Black edition & it was at a tasting party but it made quite the impression. It's also an 18yo, so $$$$... think $150+. But the 'plain' Smokehead should be more in the $60/bottle range.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (80) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement