Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 157015  
Subject: Sinofsky building a startup with Forstall? Date: 11/12/2012 9:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/microsoft-announces-leadership...

Apple isn't the only one with big executive change-ups!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156031 of 157015
Subject: Re: Sinofsky building a startup with Forstall? Date: 11/12/2012 9:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
MS has had a major exodus of top people in the last few years. The media has largely ignored it.

Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156032 of 157015
Subject: Re: Sinofsky building a startup with Forstall? Date: 11/12/2012 10:42 PM
After the first 3-4 leave it's old news ;)

Forstall's departure comes on the tail of a rather lackluster release and was widely reported to bang heads with the rest of the Apple execs. It makes sense in many ways.

Sinofsky? Timing is strange, Maybe I'm off, but I thought Sinofsky sort of was the voice of W8.

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156033 of 157015
Subject: Re: Sinofsky building a startup with Forstall? Date: 11/13/2012 7:45 AM
Recommendations: 1
"Sinofsky? Timing is strange, Maybe I'm off, but I thought Sinofsky sort of was the voice of W8."

And was a horrible showman (just sayin again)
B

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156042 of 157015
Subject: Re: Sinofsky building a startup with Forstall? Date: 11/14/2012 7:36 PM
"Sinofsky? Timing is strange, Maybe I'm off, but I thought Sinofsky sort of was the voice of W8."

Company spin:

Microsoft's Windows chief leaves in power struggle

Microsoft Corp. didn't elaborate on the reasons behind the end of Sinofsky's 23-year career at the company. But all signs point to tensions boiling over as Ballmer tries to weave Microsoft's products more closely together so the technology is easily accessible whenever and wherever people want to work, play and communicate.
----
To achieve his objectives, Ballmer is trying to dismantle fiefdoms within Microsoft that date back to the 1990s when co-founder Bill Gates ran the company. According to industry analysts, Gates divided the company into different engineering silos devoted to each of Microsoft's key franchises - Windows, the Office suite of software, online services and corporate servers.
----
"Sinofsky is an empire builder who is not going to look kindly at someone coming in and telling him he has got to start sharing," Enderle said. "But Ballmer needs everyone to do the Kumbaya thing and come together. They were likely increasingly bumping heads in terms of the future of the company."
----
Sinofsky "is a good manager and a guy known for getting things done, but if you are looking for someone who plays well with others, he is not your guy." Enderle said.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20121113/DA2HDIB00.html

Steve

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156044 of 157015
Subject: Re: Sinofsky building a startup with Forstall? Date: 11/15/2012 11:33 AM
Recommendations: 1
Well, if Ballmer really is trying to dismantle the "fiefdoms" at MSFT, that may be one of the few smart things I've heard of him doing.

Of course, he's been CEO for 12 years or so, why has it taken him so long to do that?

dsbrady

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156045 of 157015
Subject: Re: Sinofsky building a startup with Forstall? Date: 11/15/2012 12:29 PM
Of course, he's been CEO for 12 years or so, why has it taken him so long to do that?

Maybe it's taken that long to realise that the PC is not where the growth is. Maybe it's taken that long to overcome internal opposition to moving the company's core outside the PC.

The first iphone came out in 07. Reportedly Win 8 development started before Win 7 release in 09. In comparison, the Lisa introduced the GUI in 83 and Windows came out in 85. From taking 2 years to get to market, to 5 years. Sounds like it could be a problem of overcoming resistance to change within the company. We have seen the same arguments on this board "why in the world would I want my PC to work like a cell phone?", but the reality is the PC isn't the center of the universe, like it was in the 80s.

Steve

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement