UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: just1trader Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35339  
Subject: Re: Ameritrade CDs Date: 7/21/2013 1:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Sir,

Buying CDs in the secondary market --especially in an environment of nearly zero interest-rates-- is a really stupid thing to do.

But don’t just take my word for it. Let’s work though some actual examples. TD is offering a mid-range CD, GE Cap’s 2.950’s of ’23, at 100. A commish will have to be paid. That will drop the achieved yield a bit. But let’s ignore that fact for a while. So that price and rate becomes a benchmark. A 10-year CD, from an A1/AA+ rated company, can be bought at a price that would yield roughly 2.95%.

However, some credit unions (such as mine) offer high-yield checking accounts that offer around 2.25% for the first $25k-$30k of deposits, and if you go over to the corporate side of that same issuer and out on the yield-curve a bit, you can pick up another 140 bps. However, screwing around with debt instruments that are explicitly (or implicitly) principal-protected is a sure way to lose exactly what one is trying to protect, namely, purchasing-power.

E.g., if you buy a CD offering 6% (which you won’t be able to find these days) and if your combo Fed/State tax rate on ordinary-income is 25%, you net is a mere 4.5%, from which you still have to subtract your personally-experienced inflation rate, which is probably trending near 6%. Opps. A net 4.5% after taxes, minus a not unrealistic 6% inflation rate, means --in effect-- you are paying someone 1.5% per year to warehouse your currency for you.

That --I’d argue-- is a clear example of financial laziness and stupidity when is it isn’t hard to find investments that offer a real rate of return. E.g., two weeks ago, I put on positions in gold, silver, and ag commodities on which I’m averaging gains of about 30 bps per market day. By contrast, a CD that offers 5% per year (which you won’t find) offers a mere 2 bps per market day. So, that becomes a benchmark for making risk-adjusted comparisons. An instrument with no default-risk, but with serious tax-risk and inflation-risk, offers at best about 2 bps per market day.

But it is very easy to find opportunities that offer 20 to 40 bps per market day that have no greater tax-risk or inflation-risk. For sure, those opportunities come with market-price risk (which amounts to default-risk), but the buyer is being well-compensated. So, choosing to buy CD is to choose to accept some risks, but not others, and to be poorly paid for doing so.

Money is a commodity, no different than wheat, copper, lumber, or orange juice. In today’s market, with the Fed/Treasury cartel running the printing presses 24/7, the price of money is so low that the stuff is almost free. Hence, no one is willing to pay up to buy or borrow it. Hence, interest-rates for debt instrument that carry little credit-risk are low, and they are likely to remain low for an extended period, which is Not a Good Thing, for a whole lot of reasons. But that’s the present-day landscape, and a rational investor looks elsewhere than CDs to park cash.

Charlie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement