Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: kh Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35  
Subject: Re: 2003 Q2 Conference Call Notes Date: 8/11/2003 9:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
SirTas,

I believe the price increase was pretty much across all menu items. The annual report says only that menu prices were raised 3.1 % in two-thirds of the restaurants in the third quarter of 2002, and 3.1% in the remaining one-third of the stores in the fourth quarter.

If the increase was across the board, I agree that it probably disappointed all customers—at least those who were paying attention—to some degree.

Burns did say the revised menu will include price reductions on items that had crossed “barriers” with customers. Apparently, there were items that stood out above the others as having price points that customers were particularly sensitive about.

The analyst who suggested to push the "to go" business seems to me to be on the right track. Even Burns admits that there is somewhat of a perception problem about the ambiance of the place. Food "to go" seems like an answer.

He said he thought that with just so many advertising dollars to go around, it's better to focus on the core dine-in customers. He did say they were going to mention the To Go business prominently some place on the menu. That way, at least the dine-in customers will be made aware of carryout.

I really don't get this one: The Company is seeing some evidence of saturation in Nashville, Knoxville, and Indianapolis. Burns thinks this is a temporary phenomenon but did not elaborate. How can a saturation problem be temporary? Are they planning to close some stores in saturated areas? ?

Good question. It didn't make sense to me, either.

I only recall one brief mention of store closings, and that was a store in Murfreesboro, TN. When a new store opened up nearby, the old store was considered for closure, but left open. Sales dropped off initially at the old store, and the new store got off to a slow start, but both stores have turned around and are now doing well. Perhaps that's what he meant by “temporary” saturation—where both the new store and the old store struggle at first but eventually come around. I'm not sure.

Kh
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement