Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: WhitemiataXP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58666  
Subject: Re: All you American born/raised folks... congra Date: 6/8/2003 3:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
sjfans,

Everything you say is wonderful and it sounds so great, and you can bet anything you want that I believe that YOU and YOUR CIRCLE OF FRIENDS for the most part do not overindulge, do not frequent the all you can eat buffets etc. etc. etc.

But you can take the whole "don't generalize rethoric only so far" the fact of the matter is that on average Americans are SIGNIFICANTLY FATTER than Italians.

You can ascertain this by the statistics

You can ascertain this by walking throguh the streets of Italy and just LOOKING WITH YOUR OWN EYES AT WHAT PEOPLE LOOK LIKE

Or you could go into clothing stores in Italy and find that an italian XL t-shirt is a muscle-shirt for someone who routinely comfortably wears an American "LARGE" ... you'll then find that you'll have a heck of a time finding a store that sells XXL Italian size... which is close enough for an American XL size... and you can certainly forget about purchasing clothes anywhere comparable to 2XL 3XL etc.

Now of course you can tell me that's due to availability of choice... Us here in America have the choice of buying a t-shirt that there would be called a Teepee.

Explain this to me, please... I have a lot of friends over there, and I have a lot of friends over here.

Here, when I look at my friends I think I'm "NORMAL"

There, when I look at my friends, I think I'm FAT.

if you want, when I go this summer I will take a nice panoramic from my father's balcony... which is right on main street where everyone in the town goes for walks in the summer... then maybe you'll see what I'm talking about when you find that you can't find anyone that would fit the definition of "OBESE"

Heck... here there are so many of us who do fit that definition, that we've now upped the bar for fear of offending each other and instead of saying "you're obese" we say "you're technically obese" or "according to the charts you would be obese"

Does that mean that EVERYONE in America isn't FIT?

NO.

Does it mean that there aren't huge groups of people who are fit?

NO.

But bottom line if you came here to South Florida, I could drive you around to a gazillion places where you would see copious amounts of visibly way beyond "technically obese" folks. You could NEVER do the same in Italy, unless you found some touristy restaurant where a bunch of Texans are taking a break before visiting the colosseum.

Alessandro

P.S. I feel like the more I'm replying to this the more I may be writing things that could be perceived as offensive to Americans in general. I don't mean to do that at all. As much as I believe in restraint and self determination, I am convinced that the reason why we are so much fatter is because of the availability of all this junk food. I predict that when McDonalds reach similar saturation in Italy than they have here, and once Malls totally annihilate the small stores requiring folks to walk... Italians will fall in line and look just like we do. Wether that's a good or a bad thing I leave to everyone to determine for themselves... I have my personal opinions on that and they're not up for discussion.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement