Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 54169  
Subject: Skiing -- a thing of the past? Date: 12/14/2012 8:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Rising Temperatures Threaten Fundamental Change for Ski Slopes
www.nytimes.com/2012/12/13/us/climate-change-threatens-ski-i...
Whether this winter turns out to be warm or cold, scientists say that climate change means the long-term outlook for skiers everywhere is bleak. The threat of global warming hangs over almost every resort, from Sugarloaf in Maine to Squaw Valley in California. As temperatures rise, analysts predict that scores of the nation’s ski centers, especially those at lower elevations and latitudes, will eventually vanish.

Under certain warming forecasts, more than half of the 103 ski resorts in the Northeast will not be able to maintain a 100-day season by 2039, according to a study to be published next year by Daniel Scott, director of the Interdisciplinary Center on Climate Change at the University of Waterloo in Ontario. By then, no ski area in Connecticut or Massachusetts is likely to be economically viable, Mr. Scott said. Only 7 of 18 resorts in New Hampshire and 8 of 14 in Maine will be. New York’s 36 ski areas, most of them in the western part of the state, will have shrunk to 9.

DB2
Print the post Back To Top
Author: mschmit Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39812 of 54169
Subject: Re: Skiing -- a thing of the past? Date: 12/14/2012 2:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Under certain warming forecasts, more than half of the 103 ski resorts in the Northeast will not be able to maintain a 100-day season by 2039

When I first started skiing in the 1970s and lived on the east coast friends brought me to a number of poor "ski hills" that existed only because they could now make snow and were closer to population centers that the ski mountains. Now they might be worried that they can't stay open for 100 days, 27 years from now. Good. :)

Of course the big resorts are worried, but I'm not sure why they mention Squaw Valley specifically...opened early this year and IIRC stayed open past Memorial Day several times in the last decade...even till July 4 a couple of times.

Mike

Author: waterfell Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39878 of 54169
Subject: Re: Skiing -- a thing of the past? Date: 12/17/2012 2:04 PM
It is still very early in the California snow season, but the current snowpack levels are about normal for mid-December.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/PLOT_SWC

You can look at historical data here:
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/swcchart.action

Looking at the last four winters, the 08-09 and 11-12 seasons had lower than average snowfall, while the 09-10 and 10-11 seasons were higher than normal. Looking at the data going back to 2000 on the link immediately above, it appears the seasons with the highest snowfalls usually had the majority of the snow build up later in the season (March-April).

- Pete

Author: jck101 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39888 of 54169
Subject: Re: Skiing -- a thing of the past? Date: 12/17/2012 11:03 PM
CA winter weather is affected by El Nino / La Nina, so to get decent results depending on how you want to sell it, just pick the appropriate starting year.

Author: waterfell Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40038 of 54169
Subject: Re: Skiing -- a thing of the past? Date: 12/29/2012 3:36 PM
The following link shows an interesting comparison of the snowfall in the California Sierra Nevada from December last year and this year.

http://www.weather.com/sports-rec/ski/california-sierra-neva...

- Pete (On the lookout for some rain predicted here today in San Diego.)

Author: elann Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40039 of 54169
Subject: Re: Skiing -- a thing of the past? Date: 12/29/2012 3:52 PM
The following link shows an interesting comparison of the snowfall in the California Sierra Nevada from December last year and this year.

http://www.weather.com/sports-rec/ski/california-sierra-neva......

Yup. The Tahoe ski resorts got 8 feet of snow last week. Two people were killed in avalanches.

Elan

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40041 of 54169
Subject: Re: Skiing -- a thing of the past? Date: 12/29/2012 7:32 PM
the folks in NY and New England are celebrating nicely with all the storms and snowfall.

Sorry, global warming freaks.....it's not happening....

Skiing is just grand all over the country

More snow in CO and NM today and tomorrow...folks at AngelFire will be happy as will all the Rocky Mountain folks.....

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40042 of 54169
Subject: Re: Skiing -- a thing of the past? Date: 12/29/2012 7:33 PM
Route 5 in CA has been closed time and time again this winter due to , gulp, snow.....

what you global warming types say isn't happening like it used to...

t.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement