UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: VodounGroove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20875  
Subject: Skiing in Colorado Date: 12/13/2004 11:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
So, I'm going to be moving to CO (Denver area) in the spring, but in the meantime I'm going to be making a few trips down there (from Omaha) to get a feel for the lay of the land and scout out apartments. I figure I should do some skiing while I'm down there (the one part of winter I actually enjoy, even though I've only been skiing twice in my life). So I'm wondering, with so many choices, where should I go skiing? Should I stay at a resort or close by, or just stick to Denver/Boulder and drive over each day I want to ski? Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
Kaiti
Print the post Back To Top
Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5302 of 20875
Subject: Re: Skiing in Colorado Date: 12/13/2004 11:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
So I'm wondering, with so many choices, where should I go skiing? Should I stay at a resort or close by, or just stick to Denver/Boulder and drive over each day I want to ski? Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions welcome.

If you're a beginner, there's no reason to pay for more mountain than you can use. I'd stick to the Gems - maybe Loveland or Sol Vista. Winter Park if you want bigger.

If you have lots of money, stay at a resort. If you don't, I'd drive each day. There are lots of ticket deals around. Grocery stores sell discounted tickets. Some areas sell tickets for beginner lifts only that are cheaper than full tickets.

Take lessons.

rad

Author: TMFClimbrfish Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5308 of 20875
Subject: Re: Skiing in Colorado Date: 12/13/2004 3:28 PM
You can go daily, but if you're going to go for consecutive days, I'd recommend staying, since it could take you 2+ hours from Denver, depending upon day/traffic. Check out Breckenridge, Vail, Arapahoe Basin, etc. - all in the same area. Monarch (south) gets the best snow, but it's small & you can do all the runs in 1 day....

Author: Zarff Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5319 of 20875
Subject: Re: Skiing in Colorado Date: 12/14/2004 12:55 AM
Recommendations: 1
VodounGroove

Alas, I used to live there long ago and far away.

I always loved going skiing and miss it living here in the Desert.

Our favorite ski areas were always KeyStone, Copper Mtn and Breckenridge. Vail always seemed to cost twice as much and was 2 hrs further to drive.

FWIW
Loveland was always cold & windy and I always frooze.
A-Basin always seemed small but Spring Bikini days were always fun.
It's a guy thing I'm sure
Winter Park was nice for a change once in a while.
Breckenridge is great up top, but the bottom can be bad if there isn't enough base.

If your interested in an evening only thing, ...
There's a small ski area within an hour of Boulder that has lights and night skiing. I actually took lessons there on Friday nights. Unfortunately I forgot the name.

I've never heard of Sol Vista, is that new.???.

As far as the appt hunting goes.
If north Denver (closer to Boulder) isn't too far from where you might be working, Broomfield & Surprise might be worth a look.

Keystone is still my fav ski area for the distance, then Copper Mtn.

Hope this helps
Zarff

Author: Rile72 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5321 of 20875
Subject: Re: Skiing in Colorado Date: 12/14/2004 6:59 AM
Zarff
I too lived there long ago (late 70's), and Keystone was by far my favorite ski place. Much closer than Copper or Vail, and much less crowded (wonder if that is still the case).
And yes, spring skiing on at A-Basin was not to be missed!

Author: VodounGroove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5323 of 20875
Subject: Re: Skiing in Colorado Date: 12/15/2004 2:03 AM
Recommendations: 1
Thanks, everyone! I'll let you know how it goes - expect a report sometime next month. :-)

Kaiti

Author: zoogeek Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5332 of 20875
Subject: Re: Skiing in Colorado Date: 12/18/2004 1:37 AM
Hi Kaiti,

I live in Denver. I think Zarff had some good suggestions. If you stay in the Dillon area, you can easily ski Keystone, Breckenridge and Copper. If you plan on skiing several consecutive days, I would not recommend driving up each day; the traffic can get pretty congested. Winter Park also has some good skiing and a range of accomadations. Vail's expensive all the way around.

The ski area up around Boulder is called Eldora. That northern part of the metro area (Broomfield and Superior) is really growing and offers lots of different housing options.

Diane

Author: Zarff Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5334 of 20875
Subject: Re: Skiing in Colorado Date: 12/19/2004 4:19 PM
Zoogeek (Diane)
Thanks for putting the Eldora name out there.
I couldn't think of it for the life of me.

)-:
The Broncos are losing and the Chargers are winning.
There goes the Division. Next the Wild Card.
Oh well, maybe Santa will bring us a QB for next year.

??? Where in Denver, if I might be so bold.???.

Zarff

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement