UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63166  
Subject: Skyfall Date: 11/9/2012 5:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
So I fell for the hype, and having nothing better to do, took Mrs. Goofy to "Skyfall" this afternoon.

The early word was that it was "smart" and "funny" and the best Bond movie in 20 years. The guy coming out of the theater after me was muttering to his friend "What was all that about. It was average, at best."

I agree. Much shoot-em-up bang bang, many sequences more appropriate to a Road Runner cartoon, and say, if you're going to kill the guy, don't stand there and talk to him for five minutes first because you know, every time, he gets away.

Pfooey. Awful. My wife thought Danie Craig was quite handsome. Sadly, there's only a couple minutes of Bond girl screen time as eye candy for the boys.

Save your money. Go to something with some intelligence and wit. Say, "Here Comes The Boom" or maybe "Pitch Perfect." I haven't seen those, but they couldn't have been worse.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62017 of 63166
Subject: Re: Skyfall Date: 11/9/2012 6:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Saw it this afternoon as well. Goofy, was that you muttering angrily behind me? <g>

Well, I certainly didn't think it was "awful", as Goofy did. But it certainly didn't live up to the hype. Still thought it was a very decent movie....maybe 3 to 3.25 out of 4 stars? There were alot of scenes that had great potential, set up nicely, but just didn't quite have the execution needed. Some of the action scenes were over the top...and decisions made by Bond and villains that stretched creduality. What about the typical Bond-movie charm of scenes in the exotic locales (Turkey and China - Shanghai and Macau)...had their moments, but wasn't blown away. And one of the more beautiful Bond girls in awhile, an Eurasian mix. More potential in that side storyline that could have been tapped. We also meet some new characters that may serve as the new paradigms going forward....

For the three very hyped movies this year, I liked Skyfall better than Looper, but nowhere as much as I liked Argo. Argo is still by far the film of the year for me, of the ones I watched.

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62018 of 63166
Subject: Re: Skyfall Date: 11/9/2012 7:54 PM
For the guys and curious girls, the Bond girl is Bérénice Marlohe. She's half French (mom) and half Chinese (dad). I'm taking special interest because I'm also half Caucasian and half East Asian.....<g>

Here's a collection of photos of her on Google....

You're welcome.

http://www.google.com/search?q=B%C3%A9r%C3%A9nice+Marlohe&am...

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62019 of 63166
Subject: Re: Skyfall Date: 11/9/2012 9:22 PM
So I fell for the hype, and having nothing better to do, took Mrs. Goofy to "Skyfall" this afternoon

but don't you mean 'Mrs. hoofy'?

(I feel terribly confused!)

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62020 of 63166
Subject: Re: Skyfall Date: 11/9/2012 9:28 PM

You know - you're right. But I never thought of it that way.

Still won't, probly.

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62021 of 63166
Subject: Re: Skyfall Date: 11/9/2012 9:34 PM
Recommendations: 1
So I fell for the hype, and having nothing better to do, took Mrs. Goofy to "Skyfall" this afternoon

(I feel terribly confused!)

Let's say Goofy's real name is Bill Wilson. And her wife is Sally Mae Wilson (g). I seriously doubt Goofy refers to her wife in real life as Mrs. Bill. LOL

I know you're kidding Notable, but I had to comment. You know how paternalistic, and unerringly conservative GoofyHoofy is on these message boards....sigh. I try to change him...but to no avail <g>.

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62022 of 63166
Subject: Re: Skyfall Date: 11/9/2012 9:37 PM
Recommendations: 2
"The early word was that it was "smart" and "funny" and the best Bond movie in 20 years."

Just saw it. I agree with the "early word."

Ken

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62023 of 63166
Subject: Re: Skyfall Date: 11/10/2012 5:16 PM
Just saw it. I agree with the "early word."

Having not yet seen it, I am, of course, delighted to 'hear' this.

nl

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62024 of 63166
Subject: Re: Skyfall Date: 11/10/2012 5:19 PM
Let's say Goofy's real name is Bill Wilson. And her wife is Sally Mae Wilson (g). I seriously doubt Goofy refers to her wife in real life as Mrs. Bill. LOL

My Gawd. With all due respect .. I'm now more genuinely confused than ever!

But that's ok -- my contract right here mentions nothing about any assurances
that I will never be made to endure periods of abject confusion .. so ...

thanks

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62026 of 63166
Subject: Re: Skyfall Date: 11/11/2012 2:48 PM
I saw it Friday night, I give it 5 stars!

Author: SirYoda Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62027 of 63166
Subject: Re: Skyfall Date: 11/11/2012 5:41 PM
Saw it this afternoon.

I'd say it was one of the more psychological Bonds to date. Daniel Craig plays the part as a more rounded, fleshed out, somewhat conflicted character. We filled in a bit more of his background in this installment as well. The villain was not a cardboard cutout, either (although the basic set-up of the villain has been used before....and IN the Bond universe....lazy writing).

Also, the basic "crisis" of a "list" has been overdone in the spy genre.

But it was an enjoyable cruise thru the Bond universe, even with its flaws.

3 out of 4 stars......

Yoda

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62049 of 63166
Subject: Re: Skyfall Date: 11/19/2012 12:34 PM
I really liked it, best Bond since Tomorrow Never Dies. There was actually some acting, and it was nice seeing Bond wounded and struggling instead of being Superman. I hated the first two Daniel Craig movies, I mean absolutely hated them, and so this was a pleasant surprise. Judi Dench was the best M ever.

And the movie passed the Bechdel test. I can think of at least two scenes in which female characters with names were talking to each other about something other than a man. For a 007 flick, that's pretty good.

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62056 of 63166
Subject: Re: Skyfall Date: 11/20/2012 1:25 AM
Recommendations: 1
Soooo....it's run the gamut. Some say it's "horrible", some say "meh", some say it's "Great!!" Some have more detailed analysis, with no clear direction.

Imagine that. Intelligent people living in homes and like-minded media in the very same nation, watching the very SAME James Bond movie, don't agree at all - opinions range from "horrible" to "meh" to "awesome" to "solid".....they watched the very same movie, folks!!

And then you wonder why something as calm and undivisive as politics can cause some of the very same, intelligent people to look even much sillier arguing on the message boards about their leader.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement